Sippy Cups

When did you introduce them? Is it bad if they are introduced to early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did just for fun at 5.5 months. the nuby kind. totally off the bottle was 10.5 months
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• 4 months (pedi recommended). I would put an ounce of water in it and tip it for him a couple times and then let him try it. At 5 months i started mixing in a little juice. And at 8 months i switched to a straw cup :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No but its bad if theyre kept on the sippy too long,just like with a bottle,I introduced at 6 months and im taking it away at 12 mos,which is next month,,
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my dd is 4.5 months i just bought one for her today but it seems like its super hard to get anything out... its one of those training one with the no drip top.. any suggestions? shes really interested and trys so hard but get real mad when nothing comes out..
    fenska87

Answer by fenska87 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Some sippy cups are bad for depelopment and can affect speech. A straw is not bad. The only thing babies should get to drink is water with meals. If they aren't breastfed they should continue to get about 32 oz of formula by bottle until 12 mo. At that time they can wean from the bottle and drink only water. There is no need for drinking cow's milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I started once they can sit independently.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i didnt say anything about giving her whole milk Gailll
    fenska87

Answer by fenska87 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Straw cups are better. I would avoid sippys. Best to wait until the child can sit unassisted.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• both of my kids were on it by 6 months. The started out with the straw ones, because thats what they preferred. Then we moved on to the shoft nubys and eventually the hard spouted ones from playtex. I had taken my daughter off the sippy when she was a little over 2 and plan on breaking my son at about the same time.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• With my third child I skipped bottles and sippy cups all together. When he was 6 months old and I introduced solid foods I also gave him a lidded cup (Tuperware Bell Tumbler with lid) with water.

I don't like true sippy cups because you have to suck. I wanted him to learn how to dink from a real cup.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010