STEPDAD'S

it's like my mom used to love my dad but after he die, she search her love in other man and she found out in my stepdad. but problem is that he always treated me different, i know at the begining i didn't gave him a chance, i told him that i won't call him dad because even if my dad died i still have a dad. so he used to buy things to my brother and sis and hide them from me.
He never gave me big gifts, but to his daughter( my half sister) she is only 4 he used to give her many things even if it wasn't her birthday, i'm not jelous of my sister i love her very much.
i'm just wonder why stepdad's make differences between his son's/daughter' and the one's that are not his?
why they married anyway? if they know that the women have children's from other man.
Are all stepdad's like that?

Sofiah

Asked by Sofiah at 9:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• i don't think all stepdads are like that. my husband is a stepfather to my son and we have a daughter together. He loves him just as much as he loves our daughter and he takes pride in calling himself my son's father. he doesn't even introduce him as his step son. but there is always going to be that special connection that every human has toward their own kids. Maybe your stepfather hasn't mastered this delicate technique yet, or if this is his first child he's excited, but if it's messing with your head than i don't see any reason why u won't be able to just tell him. GLmommy
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No, my step dad is the best dad i could ever ask for. He has a biological son but i was always his little princess. My real dad and my mom divorced when i was little and mom remarried when i was 5 i still see my real dad but i only call my step dad daddy. My oldest daughter also loves my husband and he doesnt treat her any diff. than our other 2 girls:)
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i think it is up to the mom to expect more of her next husband. like you said, she searched for love, not for a step dad. i am sorry he is not better for you.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends on the person- some dads treat their OWN children like that. My father was never a great dad, never around, and since I had my son he's become my dad's favorite and it's very obvious, especially when you compare the way my dad treats my son to the way he treats his other grandson. My husband's father is way worse- he has one favorite child, the youngest (and by far most beautiful little pain in the ass spoiled rotten) daughter. He has always gotten her more and better presents and made more time to spend with her. My father in law has missed all his children's graduations exept hers, and he hasn't even made it to any of the weddings- but I'm sure when she gets married he'll pay for the whole thing and be there for everything. I don't know why some people are like that, it's just not right.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 10:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I was a 13 when my StepDad came into my life. I despised him and let him know it. Eventually things changed. I love him so very much now and he does show a difference in the way he treats his own kids and me, he treats me better because I am better to him. He bought me a horse, he picked out my sweet 16 birthday present (blue camaro), he paid for my wedding dress and helped give me away at my wedding. When I need anything next to my Husband he is the first one I run to and he has always been there with open arms. Have you ever sat down and really talked to your StepDad and told him your feelings?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• maybe he didn't want you to think he was trying to replace your dad or buy your love...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• All step dads are not like that. My husband is a step dad to my older two kids, and he treats them just the same as our daughter we have together. To him, they're his kids, he never refers to them as just his step kids.

I also have a step dad, and he's never treated me any different than my step sister. He goes above and beyond for the both of us.

I think that maybe your step dad felt shunned from you, like you didn't accept him, and that's why he treated you the way he did. Doesn't make it right by any means, but it's a possibility. He probably felt like nothing he ever did was going to be good enough. You should talk to him and tell him how you feel. It's never too late to establish a healthy relationship with him :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• kC932
    NO i never told him what i feel about him, i just used to tell him that he will never be like my dad.
    that i already have a dad and i don't need one more.
    Sofiah

Comment by Sofiah (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• no, my Step-Dad is GREAT and so is my brother who has 2 step-kids and a bio DD.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• no.. my stepdad is pretty good to me and my family even though i still refuse to call him dad till this day.
    urban_baybee

Answer by urban_baybee at 1:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2010