Why wouldn't you tip?

Hair stylist pay a lot of money for the legal rights to cut/color/chemical service/style/etc.. your hair, and for the expertise to be able to do it.

Why in the world would you not tip them? There are soo many expenses they have to pay for that their wage per hour is WAY less than what a majority of you probably figure it to be.

unless they completely mess up your hair, you should definitely tip them.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• we rockso, hazeldove..i totally feel ya! the beauty of our business, being self-employed (if that is the case and the stylist is not employed by the salon/commissioned/salaried, is that with experience of hand skill ALSO comes experience of HEAD skill..you'll be able to feel out the nasty clients who don't appreciate your work/skill/time/talent/creativity..and be able to UP your service costs, just for them. its your choice, when you own the business. or let 'em go..and wallow in the crappy hair they get from someone cheaper. so yeah, you can get tipped, even if you have to tip yourself.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree...and even when one of them cut my har SUPER short and completely different than I wanted I still tipped her then cried all the way home!
    *the haircut itself was good-just NOT ON ME!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I always tip mine. I even tipped the girl who cut my dog's hair today...lol!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• well in my line of job im at risk for aids hep b having to save lifes.....why dont we get tiped for saveing lifes?....i had to pay also and have to pay for my cpr and first aid i have to get tests done all the time to make shure i dont contract something.....so like i said no one should get tipped..

and my guess is that you make more!
    also, do you tip wait staff at resaruants? I know when I was a werver I got 2.10 an hour and we had crappy business...so my average WITH tips was bout 7 bucks an hour
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I almost always tip. I even tipped the lady that butchered my hair a couple years ago (I didn't see how bad it really was until I got home... and I mean it was HORRIBLE!). I've got to admit there have been times I've realized I didn't, but it wasn't on purpose. Sometimes when I'd ask how much it was and she'd tell me, I'd get all flustered because I had to write a check (she didn't have the credit card set up yet) and I felt like I was standing there forever. I ended up going back in there later in the day and giving her a tip because I felt aweful. I guess I tip because I'm thanking her for not butchering me and for doing such a good job consistently :)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 10:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I usually do tip. the only time I haven't tipped is when I felt like the stylist was racing to see if she could make a new record and it didn't turn out that great. she was more focused on fitting as many cuts in her shift then making each one the best she could.

you get what you pay for.. going to a more expensive salon plus tipping is still worth it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I tip every sort of profession that works for tips, and I tip well. Unless they do a horrible job intentionally, they're going to get a nice tip from me. Honestly...I can't stand people who don't tip. It just seems really, really selfish to me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• a service like this i tip based on a few things, the stylist/permer person listening to what it is i want as well as offering suggestions when i ask and how it turns out. but unless they really seriously mess it up. i always at least tip 15%
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I tip my stylist! =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I tip, including the shampoo girl.

Answer by Bmat at 10:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010