Is my 5month old drinking enough?

At four months old my ped had us start our daughter on cereal three times a day. Things were going great and she was drinking about 20 oz a day plus her cereal. Now she is only drinking about 10 oz. She refuses to drink her bottle. Help, is this normal? I am I feeding her to much cereal? She has 1/4 of cereal, which I mix with 2 oz of formula. She also gets a step one fruit in the morning and a step one veggie at lunch and supper. Please I NEED HELP!

Kelseysmommy600

Asked by Kelseysmommy600 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A 5 month old should be getting most of her nutrients from formula or breast milk and not solids. That is way too many solids for a 5 month old. I'm a BFing mom, but I think I remember reading that they should be drinking 20 to 30 oz a day around that age. Maybe a FF mom will give you some oz measurements. To give you a frame of reference, my baby is 6 and a half months old and she eats 1 jar of baby food in the morning and 1 jar around supper time and she nurses every 2 to 2 and half hours. She doesn't eat cereal because it seemed to agrivate her reflux, but my other 3 babies never ate cereal more than once a day. Rice cereal is just empty calories; it can even be skipped all together (both my pediatrician and LC say that).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 5 month old eats one jar of baby food at dinner and then drinks 7 oz every 3 hours. I have a little peanut and she won't eat more than that even when offered.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Stop the cereal. She needs atleast 24oz of formula a day. And if you wanna continue to do the cereal do it at a bottle time and make her drink her bottle before the cereal. The first year formula or breastmilk is the most inportant :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Should I call her ped? He told me that she could never eat too much cereal. He also wanted her to start so early on cereal because she has reflux and is not able to keep the formula down well and she is very tiny. Only 11 .9 at 4 month appt. Its so hard, I feel like I am doing this all wrong.
    Kelseysmommy600

Comment by Kelseysmommy600 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Your pediatrician is giving bad advise. I would insist on a referral to a GI doctor if she's not able to keep hr formula down. She's not drinking NEARLY enough. A baby can DEFINITELY eat too much cereal - it does not have the nutrients and calories in it that breastmilk or formula has that she NEEDS to grow. First things first - referral to a pediatric GI doctor, and then get a new pediatrician.

And her weight isn't as important as her growth. What was her birth weight? Her lowest weight after birth? They should gain approximently a pound a month. Percentages are pointless. And just so you know - my daughter was 11lb 9 oz at 10 months - THAT'S tiny.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 12:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Don't just CALL the ped. FIRE HIM. Mopst of them get their nutritional education form baby food manufacturers, not med school. A good ped knows the liquid diet is more important and that a baby CAN indeed get too miuch cereal. That stuff constipates like crazy!

You don't need ANY cereal. Mash what you're eating. But FORMULA FIRST. All the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• And her weight sounds fine, unless her birth weight was above 7 pounds nine ounces. Pound a month is what you want to see.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thanks Everyone! I talked with her ped and he told me to cut out her middle feeding of cereal and replace it with formula. I asked about the statement he made that she could never eat too much cereal and he told me that that is true IF she is getting at least 24 oz of formula. So I plan on sticking with him and just cutting a cereal feeding. Thanks Again!!!
    Kelseysmommy600

Comment by Kelseysmommy600 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2010