What do you think is the perfect spacing of years between children?

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 10:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think it all depends on the mom. for us, i didn't even meet my dh until i was 30, we were married at 34...i didn't even have the option of having them 5 years apart, unless i only wanted 2 children. we just got married and used no birth control and we have 5 kids.
    if i got married young, i might have planned them further apart. i feel a little bad for my 6 yo now, we can't do a ton of stuff this summer because we have a newborn and 2 yo twins! it doesn't seem like you would have issues like that if you spaced them out 5 years apart.
    in the end, if they are 2 years apart or 5 years apart, as long as they are not in therapy for life, then i think we all did ok!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• honestly whatever works for the parents. some parents might be stresed having them too close or too far apart. to me having say a toddler and then a newborn as well would have driven me mad. LOL
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would say 5 years.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Does only having one count as the perfect spacing? lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• 2 years
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Two years or less seems to be the best spacing I have seen between siblings.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 10:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think 18 months is a good space. I have a 2 yr space...10 1/2 month space...11 month space...3 years space...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I personally like 2. that way they will still be in the same school
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'm going for 3-5 years apart, with my ideal being in the middle, 4 years apart. That would mean I will start trying one year from now. I feel like that is best for me. I still feel like Aura is so much my baby, even though she is so big and independent. I like focusing all my attentions on her. Plus, I couldn't imagine being pregnant anytime in the last year or the next. She isn't violent at all but she is still rough, and I wouldn't want to try to explain a pregnancy to her right now even though she is very verbal and seems to understand a lot. I always thought I wanted three to four years apart because I like focusing individual attention on her... and liked that idea in general before she was born. I don't feel like 4 years will be too far apart like the 7 years that seperated my brother and me.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• But I also see my friends kids and definitely understand the appeal of having them close together, even if it isn't for me.Many people mention that it will be like starting over again when we have another. Having been pretty done with baby constantly attached to breast, all sorts of poopy and spitty messes, rear-facing carseat, etc when she is four... I can imagine it will be daunting to start over (and maybe exciting too, like another first pregnancy). Plus, I really imagine her being a part of my labor experience, and right now I think it would confuse and maybe even frighten her. Anyway, my friends get to deal with all that stuff at the same time. They do seem stressed a lot but they also have these adorable moments between the siblings. Messy pants, carseats, boobs/bottles, are just part of the routine they have already been swinging with. Plus, their kids really seem to entertain each other a lot of the time so they don'
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010