How prevalent do you think racism is?

I'm taking a class right now on multicultural counseling and we're reading a book about a white middle class woman who became educated through her experiences on how prevalent racism is in society. So I'm just curious how others view racism and whether you think it is prevalent in your society. I'm not talking just about people overt, deliberate acts, but also instituational racism and unspoken racism and discrimination.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't know. I don't teach my kids to dislike anyone before getting to know them and I don't really focus on anyone's race. The answers you get should be interesting though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I live in SWPA, about an hour south of Pittsburgh. If you take a walk through my town you'd be lucky to see someone who isn't white. You can take tours through buildings and houses which were a part of the underground railroad, and the town seems to be proud of that... BUT, we still have a White Catholic Church and a Black one - right next door to one another. We still have "white neighborhood" and "black neighborhoods" and it's the talk of the block when someone tries to mix them. Less than 20 mins from my house is the East coasts largest chapter of the KKK...

Around here, racism isn't something you SEE, but you know it's there. It's not something we talk about, it's treated like it's not there, but it is. So, unfortunately, I would have to say it's very prevalent still, it's just a different "quieter" breed of racism than it used to be...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends on where you live, I live in a "tree hugger" society, not really but NORCAL is pretty multi-cultured and open to all. Other places have proven to be OFF to me. I will not name specific places but some area's are still stuck in time about 50+ years
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think my children have ever had the opportunity to come in contact with someone of a different color - they are really young - but I see no reason why anyone is different, or better or lesser, just because of color, sex, religion or lifestyle, and I do my best to make that a point in my parenting... Hopefully, it catches on, and the next generation has nothing to hide...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• There is a lot of racism in this country. A few month ago on CM in answers, there were quite a few people (anonymous, of course) who were overtly racist. I actually stopped visiting this forum for a few months because I couldn't believe the talk. Really ignorant stuff I will not repeat.

As far as my personal real life experience, there is undercurrents of racism, but very little overt racism. I happen to live in a larger metropolitan area, and people are pretty good about it. Interracial couples and such do not even get a raised eyebrow. Although they just did a study that said my area had a high incidence of black unemployment even factoring in educational level. I was disappointing to hear that, but not really surprised. It is considered really really lame to be a racist in my area, so if anyone is, they are not fessing.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it still very prevalent. It may not be as obvious as it once was but it definitely still exists, unfortunately. I mean, just the number of minorities in the prison system shows that. I have had experiences with other white people that make me think that many people are still racist but just hide it. For example: so many times I have had people try to speak to me in a hushed tone about how they "aren't racist" but... then they go on to say something totally racist. That is so disgusting. I don't just overlook it. I let them know they are being ignorant.

The fact that the International Monetary Fund continues to loan out with huge interest to developing countries like Haiti and Africa is also disgraceful. The multinational corporations who go to those countries to basically use slave labor to produce their name brand goods should also be illegal.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 10:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Unfortunately I think it's more of an issue that some people will own up to admitting it is.

Thankfully I wasn't raised to be racist, nor would I ever raise my DD to be that way. However It's not like I haven't ever seen it. It wasn't until I was 16 that I realized my dad's father was racist to an extent. (We typically only seen him once or twice a year).

However my mom's family was a mix of different races so we didn't see much as a family on her side.

Yes my DD is mixed as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If you ask the my  children they would say no.  Unfortunately I think ii still exists.  I hear people make racist statements all the time, even right here on cafe mom.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've seen my SO go through some crap because of his color, I've been through crap because of my color, racism is out there, more than some would like to admit.. it's too bad too.. racism or hatred or any group of people is sick. A disease I hope I never catch!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• hmmm - interesting ?

I think part of it is we've blurred the lines between stereotypes and racism...not all stereotypes are racist; just saying...

But yes there is still a lot of that unspoken racism that I think some people may not even recognize in themselves...as well as a little more overt where people are willing to speak their true feelings amongst like minded friends but wouldn't say it to a person of another race...

Sabrina; I find it so interesting/funny you say that. My grandparents are on the E side of Pittsburg and my grandfather is one of the most out and out racist men I've ever heard speak. I mean so bad he yells at people on the news to get off his tv! Yeah; a little crazy...which IDK I always found odd since they're "Yankees" the family has always been in PA for decades upon decades...

cont'd
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010