My daughter is one of those children who decide they can act completely inappropriate when someone comes over, in public, and definitely when I am on the phone!! I usually just let her know that I am adding these things up and we will deal with them later..... What do you do??? **extra details below***

My daughter is 7, and yes, I know this is normal behavior! I just wonder how you handle it, and is it instant with yours to do something like this?? She is usually pretty well behaved until one of those situations arise. It drives me crazy, and I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is!!! What do you do?? I just have a hard time with why all of a sudden her behavior will change....!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yep, and adding to those posters who suggest dealing with her in those situations, putting her in timeout, or even getting disciplined in some way in front of other people can be downright embarrassing to a 7 year old.
    I think she might be doing it because she doesn't really get in trouble right there on the spot during one of her "outbursts" but rather, later on. So in that time, she can be defiant, a rebel, and a show-off.
    Like, "hey, look at me~! I'm being a complete brat, and my mom can't do shit because other people are here! HAHA."

She's just testing your boundaries.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would take her home the instant her behavior changed. I would also double punishments for those times when immediate extract is not possible.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Why does her behavior change? My guess would be that you don't really deal with her publicly. I know you add it up but it is delayed punishment. I feel punishment or talking should be automatic. Deal with it right then and there and they will be less likely to do it in the future. If you refrain from punishing her in public or when someone comes over this is like her get out of jail free card. The later punishment is worth doing what ever she wants the whole time. Plus she's testing how much she can get away with. I bet it would stop if you showed her that no matter who is around you will punish then and there. When I have someone over I parent like I always do...no different. I'll put her in time out, I'll make her go clean her bed room, take toys away, etc...When I am on the phone I will tell the other person Hold on just 1 moment while I deal with an impatient child.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 11:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• usually my son is pretty good. If he does get out of line i usually just give him a verbal warning and thats all it takes. here latetly though he has been very rude and i have been very moody. Today i was on the phone with my dh and he kept pulling on me and "mommy mommying me" and i was like "i'm on the DAMN phone" I didnt mean to yell the way i did..but i was trying to talk and he really had been doing that shit all day. He got upset and went crying to his room. After i got off the phone i called him downstairs and told him i was sorry for screaming but he needs to know that when adults are talking on the phone or each other its rude to interupt. Then i asked him what was so important. He was fine.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree, remove her from the situation. She knows she's gotcha when you don't want to be embarrassed or you can't do anything about it like when you are on the phone. If you can, tell the person you will call them back, and then remove her from the situation and think of something she likes and take it away. She can earn her things back as she shows you she can behave in the manner you want her to. Make it something she really likes too, like her favorite shoes, or toy, or movie, or computer time, or tv time, or time with her friends... stuff like that.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i agree with the other posters, you have to deal with her in those situations.
    if you punish her in public, just a timeout is all a 7 yo needs, you may find an end to your woes!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• well hi look i am not a mom yet but i see my little nephew act like that and you should let your baby know that you are not playing and that you are for real before it to late
    morena123

Answer by morena123 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010