pacifiers are you for them or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not for them,I think they are a waste of time,and just another thing that your kid is addicted to that will ruin their teeth,,I never offered one to my daughter,kids dont always need to suck on things
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• After having a 3 year old hooked on one, I'll never use one again. I breastfeed, and I prefer not to introduce anything that might interfere with that, which includes pacifiers in the first 6 weeks, after that point, there's not as much of a "need" for them. =) The longer they have them, the harder it is to give them up.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• if it makes my baby feel better, for them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• For them. I think it helps with their sucking reflex. But I wouldn't let them have it for too long. My kids didn't really get stuck on those so it wasn't hard to take away.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My dd had a pacifier and it was a hard habit to break. With son, tried not to give it to him like we did her. He wasnt interested after a very short amount of time. Each child is different though
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think they are fine as long as the child in weaned at an appropriate age.
    mommyagain2

Answer by mommyagain2 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Never had the dilemma ... my DD didn't want anything to do with a pacifier .... she wanted mommy and my boob haha
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• up until a certain age yes. I only gave them to my son until he was around 5 months and then quit giving them to him. I was determined not to be one of those mothers with a toddler that is still walking around with a pacifier, it's disgusting to me!!!Plus, it is real bad for their teeth and they get that red rash around their mouths too, makes me sick when I see that. He never seemed to miss it either, but then he was never a fussy baby.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Depends. If you are always shoving one in their mouth every 2 seconds then no. If you are breastfeeding, no. If you are usng them when you are bottlefeedng to satisfy their need to suck but not eat at their prompting...then okay. If you are breastfeeding and the baby is oder than 8 weeks old and your supply is established, you have no latch issues, and the pacifier is used in you absence by a caregiver to calm the baby, then okay. If baby has teeth, no.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Damn..

My son loved it, I broke him of it at two quite easily. Any future kids will have them if they love them and I won't take it away, I will wait for them to self wean. Lot's of kids need them for comfort and to satisfy a non-nutritive sucking need. They are only babies for a tiny time compared to adults time...so, why rush and take that away? Who are they hurting?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010