He won't nap!

My son will be 11 months old next week. He has never been a super great napper. He would take a least 2 or 3, 2 hour naps when he was younger but once he hit like 4 or 5 months they stopped. He usually takes 2, 30 minute naps a day, and that's if I'm lucky! Lately its been only 1 nap for like 45 mins or so. And it takes me a long to get him to go to sleep. I did start a bad habit of laying down with him every time he wants to take a nap but now, sometimes that doesn't even work! He does sleep with me at night as well, but he sleeps great through the night. From like 8pm until 7am. I am worried he's not getting enough sleep during the day. He isn't too cranky but I can tell he's tired and just keeps fighting it. What can I do? Or do some babies just not require as much sleep as others?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep trying. For me, I have to rock or nurse until they're dead asleep, then gently lay them down and cover with a weighted blanket - that usually does the trick. =) I also keep a fan running in the room (white noise) and keep the room dim (not dark). Sometimes that gets me 2 hours, sometimes 30 minutes. If baby wakes up and is obviously still tired, I will try to soothe them back to sleep and lay them back down - whether by patting, picking up and rocking, or nursing. Today my daughter woke up after only 30 minutes, I nursed her then laid her back down - got another 2 hours out of her.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well I would say that sleeping through the night is wonderful m DS hasn't quite mastered that yet. As for napping if you can tell he is tired maybe you can arrange for some quiet time. Either a half an hour of watching educational tv or simply sitting in a darken room reading books.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That is no big deal. My son quit napping around a year old, he sometimes falls asleep in his high -chair for a short time but rarely naps anymore. He has always slept at least 10 hours a night straight in his own bed but usually 12 -14 hours a night.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Also, do a soothing routine for naptime as well - a shortened version of nighttime routine maybe. Sometimes that helps - and make sure you get them before they're OVER tired.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son stopped napping during the day around 1 1/2 and I just started putting him to bed a little earlier at night and he would sleep the entire night and sleep a little later in the morning.. But I dont think you should lay w/ him when he sleeps bc thats a bad habit for kids especially the older they get, they wont want to sleep without you or atleast sleep without you there. I would try to break him of that asap but thats just my opinion ofcourse... lol.. GL to you in whatever you decide to do.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Since my daughter was brought home from the hospital, she didnt nap much. Everybody told me to nap when she naps...but what do you do when your child didnt nap. Anyways, the older she gets, the less of a nap she wants. She is 16 months now and has been down to 1 small nap (about 30-45 mins) a day. She sleeps 11-12 hours at night. She funtions well but gets really crabby about an hour before bedtime.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• very interesting question. I am going through this now too!! My dd is 1 yr old and she just started the nap silliness. She always took 3 hrs total and now she is only about 1 hr. She also started to sleep later in the morning. i was confused, but hey, i am all for the later mornings!!
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I can honestly say that I think some kids require less sleep than others and that is just from going off of my 3, one slept more, one right on, and one WAY under. I found it was best for me and them if I just didn't fight them on taking the nap, and let them decide if they wanted one or not.

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wear m6 baby in a nei tai, if she's tired she'll nap whiile I do chores, if not she'll watch happily. I don't waste time and frustrate us both by trying to make her sleep. Some days she cat naps, others she takes 1 long one. Others she takes none. I doesn't matter. It is all fine. Don't fight it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010