sippy cup emergency help needed!

ok- so, last week i posted that my dd had just turned one and at her check up the dr said NO MORE BOTTLE. He told us to put her on sippy cup and take her off formula. So, we did. She took the milk fine via bottle and we tried to move her over to the sippy. She is able to suck from them, but will only take like 2 sips and then never revisit it.

I am worried because she is only getting like 10 oz of fluids a day via sippy. She needs more! What do I do? I tried to sneak some milk and water into her diet during meals (in the food) but she still needs more.

She is eating all table foods and she is a little constipated (poo every 2 days). I think this is bc of lack of fluid.

She is currently on the straw sippy and she seems to like this best, but still only like 10 oz a day. I tried to give it to her during meals while in her high chair, routined at bed time, etc, and she isn't taking to it. We played games etc.
HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They told me that too, but my son wouldnt take his milk from a sippy cup so I gave it to him in a bottle until about 2 months before he turned 2. He did drink everything else from a sippy cup though. If you dont think your child is getting enough fluid bc of the sippy cup then I would just continue on with the bottle but still let him use the sippy cup. Maybe he just needs a little more time to get used to the cup. In the meantime, Id vote bottle..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• well first straw sippy cups are generally for older toddlers but if she has mastered the straw already , that's awesome! Just stick with it, when she gets thirsty enough she will start drinking more. Or if you are that worried, try having her drink from a regular cup as u and i would do. of course you would need to hold it or help holding it so as to avoid spillage.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• try a different style sippy cup. Maybe the ones by Nuby that have silicon spout, to slowly transition her to the sippy.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son only likes the Nuby sippy cups. They have an actual rubbery nipple part, exactly like a bottle. He wouldn't even touch the hard plastic ones. Maybe give those a try?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I know I'm not perfect, but my son who is autistic and has ADHD wouldn't even drink out of a sippy cup until he was 3. He would go all day with almost nothing to drink and I gave up and gave him back his bottle. He finally got rid of it when his baby sister was born just after he turned 3. She is now 2 and I still give her her bottle to sleep with deluted koolaid in it or milk. She only has a sippy cup during the day, but won't take one at night and stays up and cries until she gets her bottle. I know it's not good for their teeth, but as long as you brush them regularly I don't see a problem with letting them have a bottle until they are ready to give it up. I have been up many nights due to trying to stop the bottle and I just can't do that to them. GL and I know it's your choice that's just my experience with it....
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• IMO, I think it's your choice for no more bottles. My son does the same with sippy cups. The nuby is a really good choice. I also found mine to like the straws too,
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Mine lil girl is still on a bottle. She wont drink out of anything else and id rather have her hydrated then off the bottle KWIM.
    babysmama03

Answer by babysmama03 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• When that happened to us, we tried several different types of cups until we found one that he really liked. It worked for us. Until then, use the bottle. The dr is being a bit pushy IMO. She can keep using the bottle for a while, don't worry.
    ablessedlife

Answer by ablessedlife at 12:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2010