how many 6 ounce bottles does a newborn usually go through in one day?

preparing for my little girl. we just bought 2 jars of formula and want a rough estimate of how much newborns go through

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at newborn, my daughter was going through about 2.5 ounces every 3 hours around the clock for the first couple of weeks. It increased from there. My daughter didnt start doing 6 ounces till around 6-7 months old.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I bf, but I'm thinking a newborn with eat maybe 2 oz. at a time every few hours at least.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• well, they eat about every 3-4 hours, but I fed more on demand. My newborn took 2 oz bottles for the first week and then we increased it to 3 oz and so on. We stayed stable at 4 oz for several weeks and then slowly went up to 5, 6, etc. She platteaud at 8 oz around 10 months. Anyway- the way i figured it was one can a week. I used powder, my dd didn't like the liquid formula.
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• and a word of advice, do not stock up on formula. You do not know what they can handle yet. My daughter was and still is lactose intolerant and could not handle regular milk based formula. She needed lactose free and had acid reflux really bad and had to use the one with rice starch in it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Newborns only need about 2 oz at a time after birth. Their stomachs are about the size of a bouncyball.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 12:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with what the others said.  Newborns eat about 2 ounces every 2-4 hours. They won't take full 6oz bottles until they are much older.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son is 2 and half months old and he is eating 3- 3 1/2 ounces every three hours. My DD was eat 2-3 ounces when she was born and by this time she was easily taken 5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours.
    shis_mama

Answer by shis_mama at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• OMG!!! A newborn should have 1-2.5 at most every 2-4 hours for formula.When I was at the hospital they said 2.5 was alot for a newborn, their tummys are soo small. I think 6 ounceh would make them puke- if it was even possible for a newborn to drink that much. When we brought our son home we gave him only 2 ounces for the first 2 weeks. I made 6-8 bottles at a time!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My daughter started out only drinking 2-3 oz every 2-4 hours. She is now almost 7 weeks old and is drinking 7oz every 4-6 hours.Anything less she acts like she's starving..We're going through about a can a week or so..The big cans last 1-1.5 weeks,the little cans only last about 2-3 days..
    mamaof0304

Answer by mamaof0304 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2010