is it okay for 1 yr olds to watch tv?

if yes, what tv shows and for how long? We never turn the tv on and I was wondering your thoughts.... is it just background noise or does your child sit and watch it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was young he would watch some but never a whole show it was mostly background noise
    Miss_Magnolia.

Answer by Miss_Magnolia. at 12:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My child is 2, and he just started getting interested in shows to sit there and watch longer than 5 minutes.
    There's all sorts of controversy about toddlers and TV. Some say bad, some say good, some just use it as a distraction.
    I personally think it's fine in moderation.

My son will only really watch the Transformers movies (lol) and Bob the Builder. Other than that, it's basically background noise as he runs around destroying parts of the house one hour at a time...
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• my lil girl watches cartoons but i think it cuz they sound kinda funny lol like tweedy bird and barney and such...let ur lil one watch it for about 30 -45 mins i let mine and the dr says he sees no problem with it especially cuz shes gonna be 11 months on july 3rd
    samie_01

Answer by samie_01 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I personally can't stand no noise, so I always have the TV on. We watch Noggin/Nick Jr all day until after dinner. I like it because it's like "Preschool on TV" just like they say

The kids really don't "watch" it, like they aren't sitting there staring all day like zombies.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I say ...
    NO
    not okay with me for sure...it's just lights and noise to them, totally pointless and addictive
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• One yr olds sit and watch tv wow all mine does is run around like a chicken with her head cut off lol.
    babysmama03

Answer by babysmama03 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• lol...I put in DVDs for my 15 month old but he never actually watches them. He gets to watch Barney, Thomas the Train, Sesame Street and your baby can read. But he never really watches it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son would watch and understand quite early on. He was always way more focused and listened and watched more intently than other kids. Even at one. By 18 months, he was using words that he learned from t.v. and movies correctly in his vocabulary. He was speaking paragraphs by then, so, I think it is fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• No.

A child's brain will develop more in the first two years of her life than it will the entire rest of her life. During this time, she should be touching and experiencing the world in order to help her brain's neurons to connect and build networks. This does not happen from watching television, so the less television the better!!!
    ablessedlife

Answer by ablessedlife at 12:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes, but really how many 1 years olds can sit and watch a show. I will turn barney on and we will sing songs and dance and maybe I can get a few minutes to load the dishwasher without help.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2010