hitting

I have a headstrong, stubborn 16 month old little girl. She hits and we do not know what to do about it. We grab her hands when she does it and tell her not to do it and that it hurts and makes us sad in a stern voice. All she does is laugh at us and goes right back to it. We have tried to ignore it and she keeps doing it. We have tried the redirecting and she still hits. We tell her and show her to use gentle hands and she will do it for a few seconds and then start hitting again. She does not hit all the time, she just gets in those moods sometimes and hits a lot during those times. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 12:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Continue showing her gentle hands and the stern firm voice of we do not hit. If all else fails may have to start a small time out in a playpen/crib to get the point across. It will be hard on her and you but she will learn quickly.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My Ds did the same around her age. Be persistent and this to shall pass. In the meantime breath deep.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Tonight we set up a little time out area using those play gate things that can make a big square. We used four of them and made a square and set them in a corner of the room. We told her no more hitting or she was going to have spend a minute in it. First night she didnt hit in about a month so we didnt get to use it. Tomorrow is a new day so we shall see (I am hoping she does not hit and I will not have to use it). Thanks everyone!
    vickwu

Comment by vickwu (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree just keep doing what you're doing. If you are holding her when she does it put her down right away. My 16 month old just recently got over the hitting phase and that's all we did. She'll figure it out. Good luck mama!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• its a phase all kids go through i think my sons and daughters went through it and my grandson who is now 5 went through it just keep letting her know its wrong
    jayzgrandma711

Answer by jayzgrandma711 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010