Hungry!!

Ok so since I had my LO 3.5mos ago I have felt like I cannot get full I'm always hungry and it's not just like I'd like to eat its like my stomach hurts and I actually feel hungry. I did breastfeed for about a month but I'm not now and I'm putting on a lot of weight. I had blood work done after baby and it's not a thyroid issue. Any suggestions on what could be causing this and anyone else have this problem??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• Hunger is related to ghrelin, a completely other hormone... and no one has researched it anywhere near enough to determine what a 'normal' level might be, or what kinds of events trigger oddities. But it is a hormone, and it's just as likely to be affected by a sudden, devastating loss.

You have also, remember, been raised in a culture that assumes that if a baby's crying it needs to 'wait' until it's starving to be fed, and that feeding it will solve most of its problems... you very likely learned to associate food with the relief of great pain a long, long time ago. Just something to be aware of: when you have a wave of tremendous sorrow, you may find yourself inexplicably feeling genuine hunger, even if you know you've eaten well, recently. Bodies are complicated, and they can be confused.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Are you drinking enough water? Often, we can't determine between hunger and thirst; make sure that you are drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.

Are you eating filling foods? Fruits,vegetables, whole grains and legumes do the best job of making you feel full, without loading you with empty calories.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You should have your thyroid checked again - a full panel.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Hoodia does work well to stop the hungry feeling.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010