those of you with multiple cats..

we just got a new kitten this afternoon, she's about 10wks old or so. we also have another cat, she'll be 2 in October...
my question is, our older cat, KiKi, doesn't seem to care for her much...hissing at her, but no trying to fight with her or anything...just hisses if the kitten comes near her...
will she warm up to the new kitten and 'get used' to her being around? or if she doesn't care for the kitten much now, is it probably just a no-go?
I LOVE this new kitten...but I don't want our cat to be stressed out all the time and be miserable with a new kitten in the house...

thanks for the advice!

carliemarie1015

Asked by carliemarie1015 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I don't have any cats now, but I used to (the most was 4 at one time), and when I introduced a new one into the family, I would make sure that everyone got attention, and talked to each of them equally, and pet them together and such, so that no one felt left out or favored. I know it is crazy, but it worked. It is like adding a baby to the family and the other kids are jealous, you know? You have to make equal time and hopefully everyone will get along in a few days.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It just depends on the cat. Our female cat can't stand our male cat and I know she never will. They both fight to be the alpha cat. We had another male cat (he got really sick unfortunately and we had to put him to sleep) that she eventually learned to tolerate, however he wasn't in constant battle with her. He didn't care to be the alpha cat so he didn't mess with her. Sorry I don't have any advice because I would love it if mine would get along too.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Cats are moody give them some time..They will like each other.
    allycally

Answer by allycally at 1:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• With the new one being young it will probably not try to gain the alpha spot. Once your older cat knows that the kitten has accepted the number 2 spot she will back off and let her be for the most part. She is just claiming her house.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• thanks for ALL the advice ladies, I appreciate it so much!
    hope they start getting along soon!
    carliemarie1015

Comment by carliemarie1015 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• both of my cats were strays that we found at two different times after they were both fixed it took about two weeks before their fighting turned into playing they are indoor only cats in a small apartment so it kind of forced them to get along
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We've had cats that did and cats that didn't. The kitten will be fine if you take care of her, and the older cats may never 'make friends' with her -- but they're not pack animals, so it's not important to any of them.

We have a set of cats, currently, that play Kitty Smackdown every couple of nights --wrestling, ambushing each other and scruffling around on the floor. They never hiss or cry out, but seem to enjoy themselves and it's funny to watch. When one is 'done' the other leaves her alone, so we don't do anything about it except laugh at the contortions...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She will probably get used to her, but she may never really like the new cat; she may just ignore the new one eventually. My oldest cat is about 9 years older than my younger one. They have never been buddies, but they get along just fine.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• they will get along soon just give it some time i use to have cats but not anymore its just takes time
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• They will probably get used to each other in time. I currently have 4 cats, none of whom care very much for one another...but they do tolerate each other. They know who belongs in the house and accept it. Now if a strange cat comes up to the window or something, they'll go crazy, hissing and trying to attack it through the window. But our cats know each other, and while we'll never find them cuddling and loving on each other, they also get used to a new cat's presence in our home over time. Yours will too, and who knows--maybe you'll get lucky and yours WILL become good friends :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2010