What do you do when the power goes out?

Tonight the power went out here at my house... we live out in the boonies so when the power goes out at night it's super dark. I sat here for 45 min's because I only had one flashlight working and my oldest was awake too so she wouldn't let me leave the room with the light.

So what kinds of things do you do when the power is out? We just sat and talked about all kinds of stuff which was nice but I really get antsy just sitting for too long.

Michele975

Asked by Michele975 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We live in the city so when the power goes out everyone heads outside (usually because it's too freaking hot to stay inside).  It's about the only time the whole neighborhood really talks to each other.  We all pick a porch (usually ours because it's big) and sit and sip warm beers and iced tea and just remember " the good ol' days".

We have flashlights and camping lanterns to light the house up.  Funny thing is when we lose power it's usually just our side of the street.  Something about how the transformers are lined up.  So across the street they are comfy in their houses watching TV with their AC on while the rest of us sit around outside waiting for Com Ed to get their act together.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• we usually go outside, when the power goes out it seems like the whole neighborhood ends up outside.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Have you tried turning the power on and off for the whole house?

I guess I'd just go to bed if it went out at night...maybe play on the cell, light some candles...
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We go outside too. I live in an apartment complex and if the power is out everyone goes outside too. It was off last week from a tree falling on the lines for like 7-8 hours. We sat outside for a long time and then went out and got something to eat and took DS to the park, but if it is night time, light candles and talk.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Go to bed in the quiet dark house... OMG I would of never lasted. I'm one of those people that if the power goes out in the middle of the night after I'm asleep it will wake me up. Strange I know but I need back ground noise to sleep. I think we were extra freaked out because hubby is off at work so we were alone in the dark..LOL. Seems so stupid to freaked out by that.
    Michele975

Comment by Michele975 (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2010