Do you let your kids pick out their own clothes for school?

JennyMarie

Asked by JennyMarie at 1:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• yup, she's 5...if i pick out an outfit she won't wear it anyway, she comes up with some crazy stuff, but at the same time she's got a crazy eye for fashion
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My kids wore uniforms to school the last 3 years.  The only thing they could pick out was which color and style sock they wanted to wear (for the girls, my son had a choice between long or short sleeves, lol).

When my oldest was in kindy and 1st she went to public school and dressed herself to a point.  There was this time in 1st where she wanted to wear the same jeans every single day.  She went 2 or 3 weeks without taking them off and were really gross.  I had to force her not to wear them so I could wash them (it was a HUGE fight).  They will all be going to public school this fall and will be allowed to choose their own outfits.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes - they started when they were in about 2nd grade. Before that, we would pick them out together the night before. I still make them go ahead and lay out what they are going to wear the night before school so there are no "I can't find . . . " in the mornings.

Answer by missanc at 7:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• They wear uniforms, so there isn't much to choose. On days when they aren't going to school, they wear whatever they want, the only time I make suggestions is if they need to wear something different because of the weather.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Within reason. I make sure she wears something appropriate on PE days, as required by the school, and that it's appropriate for the weather.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wish my kids wore uniforms. It would make like so much easier and perhaps not see so much black on my oldest. (He likens himself to the skateboarder lifestyle)
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2010