Do you live in a small town?

if so, is it anything like it is portrayed on television? I am just curious as I have always lived in large areas or cities, but when I watch television programs that are based on small town life , they are appealing to me.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• UGH yes I live in a small town, I moved here from so. california almost 11 years ago. Growing up in the city y ou have this idea of what you think living in a small town is like and it is way off. People are small minded, not up to the times, and seriously cannot graps the large picture when looking at the future of the town. If I could leave now i would but DH doesnt retire for another 15 years, we own a home here and the kids are in school so I am stuck until retirement but I am getting out as fast as i can after that.

I cant even go to the store without running into someone I know, sometimes this isnt a bad thing but on days when you really dont want to visit it can drain your patience quickly. Rumors spread like wild fire, and the entire community is generally of one way of thinking and those who think differently are viewed as strange and dont belong.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I've lived in small towns.  One was a rural town.  It's where my in-laws live and where I went to college.  Pop: 17,000.  The biggest employers are the university and Wal-mart.  There were 2 places to buy groceries: Wal-mart and Hy-vee.  Most of the population was on some kind of welfare.  Most of the people I knew were dirt poor or working 2-3 jobs just to get by.  We were also in one of the biggest meth producing areas of the country so we had that going for us...kept our 6 cops busy.  That and the rowdy frat parties.

Still, I'd rather live in a small town then the city (I grew up and live in Chicago now).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I grew up in a small town (population 9,000) Pros-safe, know everybody, easy to get around) Cons-everyone knows your business, not very many options when it comes to shopping, dining out etc.)
    Now I live in a city with a population of about 80,000, this is perfect for me:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 8:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I live in a small town in South Eastern Kentucky. It is nice here, if you like the mountains. Seems like every time we get shown on t.v. it is always something about poverty or drugs, but it really isn't all like that. I live in a nice neighborhood, its pretty peaceful and quite. But the only downfall is there isn't a whole lot around to do. We have walmart and a movie theater and stuff like that. But you have to drive about an hour to get to the closest mall.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I live in a small city. although it has grown over the past 10 years or so.

I used to know many people. still can't go anywhere without seeing SOMEONE that i know/knew. people used to be very friendly and smiley. most everyone is Christian. most everyone was white. hmmm. is that what you meant? i don't really watch TV so i'm not sure exactly what you referring to.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• *GRASP* typing too fast again sorry
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I live in a small town in Northern California and it ain't no freakin Mayberry thats for darned sure. It is corrupt to the core and the people are small minded chicken caacaa's. We moved here to be closer to family what a bad experiment!! I too purchased a house what a mistake I am underwater and probably will be for another 10 years so unless we want to walk away from our money we're stuck.
    I'm thinking of trying to rent but I just know that will probably not turn out too well.Also we are trying to move our family of 4 to Reno Nevada so they get the vision of living in a bigger area that still has some small town character but with conveniences and options.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes I live in Arcadia Indiana. We have 2 gas stations less than 1 blk from each other and the High School is in a cornfield, no seriously it rly is. I liike it bc thats all ive known is riding horses and being creative when ur an only child ur 6 and schools out. Plus our crime is 0.002% prob and those r prob from bar fights that happened when the bar was actually open lol bak in 1793 ha! We jus got new neighbors though on the side and down the st, ok like 2 house down lol but its nice to know ur neighbors bc they know normal traffic flow over here and would know if somethin was wrong. But I would rly prefer to live at our familys farm property. Oh yeah which is less than 2 mi. from my house and the rest of my family includ. Great Aunts/Uncles we all live less than 3 mi apart! We like to stay close lol
    Mz_Momm25

Answer by Mz_Momm25 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010