at what age do bf babies start sleeping through the night?

dd is almost 11 months and still wakes several times to nurse. because of his i co sleep but im starting to hink thats part of the problem. she starts out in her crib then wakes, nurses and falls back aleep what can i do to help her sleep through the night? cio isnt an option because we have a 1 bd apt and i cant stand hearing her cry. plus she shares the bedroom with her older brother... i need your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• BM digests so well, that BF babies still need to eat at night to meet their caloric needs. My DD didn't start sleeping through the night until she was 17 months. And even now at 23 months, she still sometimes wakes up, and she hasn't BF'd since she was 16 months. Eventually they do it. I know it can be frustrating, but hand in there mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I should also note that that doesn't apply to ALL BF babies.
    milfalicious08

• Each baby is different. My dd is almost 6 months, and also bf and there are nights that she wakes 5 times. Few and far between, but still. Normal is 1 waking per night for her. Her crib is next to my bed, I nurse her and put her back in it. If she cries after that, I pick her up and rock her for a few minutes and put her back down. Sometimes she cries because she wasn't done nursing and had fallen asleep before she was full, so offering to nurse again is something you can try. Also, do you nurse her before you go to bed? My dd goes down at 7pm, I wake her to nurse at 930 before I go to bed and that usually buys me a couple hours. Mostly, it's just going to take her being ready to stop nursing at night. Is she on solids? I know some moms delay solids in bf infants and if you have this might be a clue that her appetite is bigger than breastmilk alone can satisfy. Hope this helps, feel free to pm me.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• like one month to 2 years lol... DD finally started sleeping though the night at like 15 months, but once she started she was sleeping 12 hours straight! It was pretty nice :)

Trust me when I say, I know it feels like it will never happen when your LO is 11 months and still waking a few times a night but it will! Just hang in there!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son did after the first month or so. But as soon as he hit a growth spurt, he wanted a few feedings a night.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Research that tapes people sleeping (rather than 'reporting by parents') has demonstrated that whatever their parents may believe, it is normal for children to wake multiple times a night until they're 4. Whether they make any noise (or whether or not parents wake to the noise) is an open question and depends on many things:

~if they need something, like to make sure their parents are still alive, or food or someone to fix the hair that's cutting off the circulation to a toe
    ~if they believe anyone cares or will respond to any of the above (children in one area of China I read about are buried to their armpits in sand and they're 'remarkably quiet' because they know that no one is coming --doesn't make them feel safe or stop them from being terrified or being famished, but no one can hear them, so they learn not to make noise)

People tend to wake a bit, scan their world and if they need to, wake.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• around 6 months when they are eating alot of baby food.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well my son is 2 and a half and I think only around the end of his second year did he start to just eat have breast before night and then in the morning so I would be patient.

I find it useful to put a glass of water by the bed. Most of the time if my son wants breast at night is because he is thirsty and will sit up for some water instead.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• All babies are different!

Most babies don't sleep through the night on a regular basis (defined as six solid hours) until past their first birthday.

My daughter was 14 months old.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• All 4 of my bf babies slept 8 plus hours at night by 2 months of age. I never coslept, so I don't know, but I have read that babies who cosleep wake up more often than those who don't (because they smell the source of their food, and it's right there accessible to them)

Answer by missanc at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2010