Have you noticed more divorces recently?

In the last month I know 4 couples that have broken up and are divorcing, none of them are going to try to work it out. I started wondering what is causing this? After talking with several of them they all said they grew apart.

I know that DH and I have had our moments, who doesnt but it has never been something we couldnt work on together. When I hear these couples talk its as if they ust gave up and walked away over minor things. I am not the only one who thinks so, other friends feel this way too. Is it normal now to just walk away when things get tough? Just give up and say oh well lets divorce? The things I have heard so far from these couples are things like "I wanted to go back to my ex", " I just rather not be married anymore it takes up too much time" I almost fainted at that last one. " I need to just be alone for awhile" This was said after 6 months apart from her DH.

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I am divorced myself and I will tell you one thing, you never, ever know what goes on behind closed doors. A marriage may look intact and salvagable,,,,but behind closed doors, you never know what this couple is dealing with. :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• not really. Last I heard the average was about 80% of all marriages end with divorce. It's an archaic ritual.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Seems like everyone I know is getting married...I have been to 6 weddings in the past 2 1/2 months.lol Lets see what happens in a couple years.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I haven't noticed many divorces
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Two things: kind of like when you were married and everyone else seemed to be getting married, or when you were pregnant and you saw pregnant women everywhere, we tend to see what our age cohort is typically going through, particularly if we are.

And: divorce is contagious. Almost like 'hey, the water's fine, c'mon in!' Someone else pops the 'this is socially acceptable' seal and a lot of people around them take a harsh (and often inaccurate) view of their lives and think 'maybe there is something better out there, the water looks fine...'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Linda you are so right! 3 of these divorces are on my street, the neighbors next door, the ones across the street and the ones two houses down... I told DH that i have put up a imaginary line around our house to keep it out lol, the 4th one is a in-law.
    3_ring_circus_

Comment by 3_ring_circus_ (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I am going through one and yes we tried for the last 10 of the 22 yrs of marriage to work it out. When I went to this orientation thingy that is reguire by the courts... The lady that led it said that the average of marriages lasting now is 3 yrs and the majority of the divorces are with couples between 20 and 30 yrs old! These young people dont even try anymore.. 3 yrs is not long enough!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i noticed the same thing!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• 3 years? that is insane! I wonder if the probelm is that people are getting married too young? I was 22 when we got married but we had been together as a couple for 4 years and friends for 2 years before that. Maybe people are rushing to the alter instead of truly getting to know each other?
    3_ring_circus_

Comment by 3_ring_circus_ (original poster) at 3:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree that divorce might be contagious as one couple does it, it lberates another to do the same. I also wouldn't knock the "I need to be alone" reason. I personally went through this myself. I separated and later was lucky enough to get back together but I did feel like I needed to be alone for a while. I had been with someone nonstop since I was 14. I needed time to back off and be by myself. This forced me to take care of myself and grow in ways I would not have any other way. It was needed for me. I am a much much better wife now having had the time by myself.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 4:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010