Random thought.....

So just a random thought that popped into my head. Have you ever noticed that when people are trying to say that they dont care about something they say " I could care less"? Wouldnt that imply that they do in some way care? Wouldnt the proper thing to say be "I couldnt care less" ?

LOL I know its silly I just all of a sudden thought about this and wondered why people use the term " I could care less".

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no because couldn't is could not ... means you are unable to care less where as saying I could care less means I am able to care less.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Exactly! thats my point if you dont care then you truly could not care less.
    3_ring_circus_

Comment by 3_ring_circus_ (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I do say "couldn't care less". I have thought this before and wondered the same thing.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You're right.... I think I also say "I couldn't care less". Ironically, often when people say they don't care, they're saying it because they really do!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• There are all sorts of funny/wrong things that people say and I'm guilty of many! For example, Why do people say, "Take the meat out of the freezer so it can dethaw?" You would want to thaw the meat as dethaw would mean freeze.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 7:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• LOL I catch my self saying dethaw! lol and I always try to correct myself but it is automatic from hearing from others.
    3_ring_circus_

Comment by 3_ring_circus_ (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2010