How do you feel about this

Ok I know some people think it's gross but my husband was at one time my stepbrother we met when I was 13 and he was 20. My mom and his dad stayed married for 3 years and then divorced. But we sort of got together right before they married. It was on and off relationship through the past few years and now we are happily married with two kids and it can be quite awkward when people mention it. But when people bring up how we met what should I say its kind of weird. I am even scared to tell our kids how we met? In the future what do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• think of it this way...Franklin Roosevelt married his cousin. you guys weren't even related, your parent were married but that doesn't make you related. don't be embarassed
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yhat girl from 16 and pregnany on the first season, the one that gave her baby up for adoption....the boys name is tyler

their parents are married and no one said anything or gave a crap
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• sorry for the spelling errors lol Im typing weird right now
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You don't have to tell them, or anyone else. Really. I mean, how many people hook up in bars or whatever then become serious? DO they tell everyone they started off as a drunken one-night thing? I doubt it! You've made the relationship last this long and you are happy. That is good enough.

Maybe you guys should make up a crazy story to tell people when they ask.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I just need to understand that you and your hubby meant and had an on and off thing when you were 13 and he was 20? You two were never related so don't be embarassed. For your children tell them and always, ALWAYS be honest with your children no matter what it is.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Raemommy- Normally I agree with full disclosure, but no way would I tell my daughter that I dated her father when I was thirteen. At least not until she's 30. That is the perfect "Well YOU dated at thirteen, and you and daddy got married. Why can't I?". How do you refute that logic.

I don't agree that my child needs to know everything about me, especially concerning relationships. Just my opinion.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wow! Hey, you're happily married now and that's what counts, but I would say the part of the story that's most unusual and possibly damaging would be that you dated a 20-year-old when you were 13. Besides that, I don't think it's weird you hooked up with your stepbrother. It might be if you grew up together, or if your parents were still married.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• its only awkward if you let it be. you were not siblings.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• An honest, yet vague answer is:through our parents.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You said you met at age 13 & 20 but we have no idea how old you are now so it kinda throws the whole seeing each other at age 13 out the window for me.. I have no idea how long your parents have been divorced, whether it was before or after they were divorced that you started seeing each other... so no judgement needed on all of that for anyone that doesn't know the answers to these questions.
    Anyways... as for what to tell the kids. I'd tell them the truth, that you met thru your parents. Depending on age, you can go further in to the story if they question it. Just be prepared if you live in a small town for someone to mention something some time to them but unless he was in a relationship with you when you were under age, then you did nothing wrong.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2010