I'm worried about giving birth to my first child. My boyfriend wants me to have a natural birth, but I'm a little nervous about experiencing the pain. Any advice?

I'm really nervous about this whole thing. I'd like to hear about experiences from both natural birth and epidural injections. Any advice would be helpful.

MarieMassacre

Asked by MarieMassacre at 4:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my first born was natural, no pain meds .i would not call it painful in the way you might imagine. its pain with a purpose, more pressure and more pressure and MORE pressure. honestly it got to where i swore i could take NO MORE and then somehow i made it through.

i had an epidural with my second child and honestly? i feel like i missed out on a lot of the natural experience there. it was harder to push.

my third i had both pain injections and later an epidural but i almost died with him
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:49 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If you can do it naturally go for it!!! But its ENTIRELY up to you!!!

do not let ANYONE pressure you into doing it naturally if you dont want to. He is not the one popping a baby out of his va-jay jay!! lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• he does not have a say when it comes to the pain...if he get's kidney stones and ends up having to pass them then he will know the pain of childbirth but until then he's not going through the pain so he shouldn't have any say in your comfort
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I'm all for natural. I went natural with my son, and, I won't lie, it hurt, but it's not like it was the end of the world. I think people overrate birthing pain (that's said from someone who was in labor 36 hours!). The thing is, there is SO much beauty and depth to the experience! I never want to miss feeling my baby coming into the world! There are a lot of reasons to go natural: it's healthy for you and your baby.

Having said that, it's YOUR body and your boyfriend can't make that decision for you. If you're interested in great resources, join the "Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth" group. It's full of knowledgeable women who have done lots of research and have good experience and are very supportive!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I didnt have a choice with my first. She came so fast there wasnt any time for an epi! Its was painful, but not as bad as you would think! My second, they had to give me potocin (sp?), so I opted for an epi. Wish I didnt. It wasnt nearly as fulling of an experience as the first.
    But it is your body, your pain, and your experience that matters. Suggest to him......to push a watermelon out of the tip of his penis and then he can suggest which way to give birth ;)
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I went natural, but I did a water birth and there was a HUGE difference between laboring out of the water and inside the water for me. I loved the water. It was painful, but coming from someone who is normally a wuss, it was a tolerable kind of pain. I found that sitting and rocking helped me a lot til they let me get in the water and then things got quite a bit easier. Good luck, hon. I will say that doing it naturally was an incredible high--the first thing I said to my husband afterwards was apparently "I could do that AGAIN!" I was out of the birthing center within 4 hours of my daughter's birth. It was terrific. I was really nervous and read a ton of books: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth was one of them. I'm Pregnant! was another.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 5:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Hey you will have to measure or know how much pain you can take and every birth is different only you should be able to decide not you bf. Mine tried to do that and the nurse waited for him to leave before she gave me a shot to take the edge off it was local and not alot but enough to help me deliver my first child. Its funny the people talking about natural delivery cannot even have a child? Congrats momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• do some research and talk to your boyfriend about why he thinks it should be natural... the decision it ultimately yours to make. oh and good luck.
    TomsMom

Answer by TomsMom at 6:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Epidurals aren't worth it. Period. Nine times out of ten, an epidural will slow labor down and ten times out of ten, a woman laboring with an epidural is going to have a great deal of difficulty pushing at the correct time with the correct force. Talk with your doctor and nurse about pain management during labor, there are other options than an epidural.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I had an epidural with my 2nd and 3rd and both times it actually speeded up my labor. It allowed my body to relax and do what it needed to do, rather than tensing up and fighting against the pain. That being said, you don't have to make a decision before you go into labor. Collect your information, do some research, I would recommend a childbirth class from your hospital, and then let things happen. You can plan to go natural, unless the pain gets too intense at which point you can ask for an epi.
    Your bf isn't the one that is going to be experiencing the pain, the decision is up to you!

Answer by missanc at 7:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010