How do I know if my baby is weaning herself?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but she is 6 months old and teething, too. She keeps pulling on me and sling shotting my nip across the room and does this repeatedly after she's gotten about 5 min of milk. Not sure if that's the teething or if she's trying to wean. And my son did the same thing, but would smile and do other things to let me know he was just plain old playing with me, but she's not acting the same way so I know it's not that. She is really starting to hurt me, and I'm a little more sensitive bc I am 3.5 months prego. What do you think?

LuccasMommy

Asked by LuccasMommy at 5:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think she is weaning herself. A child will usually be reliant on milk well into their second year.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son started doing this and lately It's been hurting me too, I give a firm Aht Aht, he knows what that means, it means whatever you're doing or are about to do, stop. And he does, he stops
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Is she frustrated? Is it possible she's actually pulling to get more milk? Very colorful description, by the way! LOL! I agree with Keyaziz, it's definitely not normal for a child to wean herself that young. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water and have enough milk for her. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 5:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• When a child starts eating solids or anything other than your breast milk, that is the process of weaning. Cutting back breastfeeding times. then it cuts back to less and less feedings, usually ending in the last feedings being at bed time and then slowly stopping that.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My milk supply is up from what it has been for the last 1.5 months. Why else would she be pulling like that?
    LuccasMommy

Comment by LuccasMommy (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She is not weaning, she is too young. It could be teething, or just exploring. It sounds like you have figured out when she is doing it. The best way to stop it is to take her off BEFORE she gets a chance to do it.
    Keep a close eye on her diapers, some moms find their supply drops a lot when they are pregnant. It is also very common for nipples to be more tender or sore during pregnancy. I was okay until I hit 5 or 6 months pregnant, then my nipples hurt really bad and breastfeeding got a lot harder. Hang in there!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2010