Sick Pets

Has anyone fed their dog the BRAT diet? The vet recommended we do this for our 3 yo Labrador Retriever who has been vomiting for 3 days straight. I took him in on Wednesday. The vet gave him 2 prescriptions and 2 shots to stop the vomiting. It cost $154.37 for that visit. Worse than OUR doctor's visits! ARGGH!

plclemo

Asked by plclemo at 5:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pets

• If everything else is AOK--temp, resps, hr, etc And the dog is not lethargic, then I personally withhold food for 24 hours and offer water only. If they do have some GI upset due to something they ate, sometimes just giving it a rest is best. The "bland diet" thing is okay-ish...but if a dog is say, having a bout of pancreatitis, adding different proteins to their system can actually make the problem worse.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes, I have tried to feed my dog a bland diet if she vomits. She ate rice, plain pasta, and some bread. As long as he is drinking plenty of water he should be fine though.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 5:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't know about the "brat" diet (I mean, I know what is means, but I don't know about doing it with dogs), but I know that you can feed them a bland diet for a few days. I have boiled hamburger meat (you can use chicken instead) and pasta (you can use rice) for my dogs when they were sick. I do that for a few days, then slowly introduce them back to their normal food.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• What I want to know is why did it take you three days to go to the vet when your dog was vomiting?

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We thought it was just "something he ate." Which is what it turned out to be. Except for the vomiting and loss of appetite, he seemed fine. He was still playful and NOT lethargic. No fever that we could detect. No diarrhea. And I had called in the middle of day 2 and was told to bring him in the next day IF he was still not feeling well. So, they didn't think it was an emergency either.
    plclemo

Comment by plclemo (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2010