Breathing treatments??

My dd is 6mths old And Tuesday I brought her to the doc...she has strep so they gave her an antibitic but she was also coughing and weezing so they put her on breathng treatments to break it up...I'm noticing now that her breathng is worse....do u think it's bc the med is working and it's breaking up r thatit isn't working?? I'm calling her pedi in the am but was just up and wanted to see what y'all thought.

maddie12284

Asked by maddie12284 at 5:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk that is controversial. imo

try doing a hot shower and having her breathe that, you could always consult a homeopathic dr.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Honey, if she is on breathing treatments, and her breathing seems to be getting worse, I would definitely call the pedi.
    Some things that helped with my little one's asthma were to sit him in a steam filled bathroom (like get it real steamy in there with a hot shower) and then take him straight into a cool room. Somehow that helped open him up.
    Also, coffee. I know it sounds weird, but the caffeine somehow helps open them up so they can breathe.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yeah, you need to call the doctor no matter what, but I'll put my two cents in. My son's been on breathing treatments a lot. If the wheezing is getting worse, then that's no good, because that should be getting better. If the congestion seems a little bit worse, (still call the doctor) but I wouldn't be too surprised. The Albuterol is a "bronchiolator" which helps to open up airways and helps coughs to be more productive. It doesn't necessarily clear out the junk in their lungs by itself.

My doctor has told me to watch his breathing to make sure his stomach is moving up and down with every breath. That way you know that they're getting air fully into their lungs. If you don't notice that, for future reference, I would call the doctor right away - even in the middle of the night.

Good luck!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I'm glad that you are going to check in with the Dr. I have found that the breathing treatment (albuterol) will often make the cough worse at first for a bit after the treatment. I think this is because it opens things up and the cough is able to be more productive. It should only be worse for 30 minutes or so after the treatment. Now, if she is wheezing more, that is a different story!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010