How do I get her into her own bed and out of ours?

I've been living with my boyfriend and his 3 year old daughter for about a month now and am running into the problem of her climbing into bed with us in the middle of the night. I wind up with little to no room or no covers and have to get up hours before my children do or fall out of bed. I have never allowed my children in bed with me unless they were sick, so they sleep in their own beds at night. My boyfriend agrees that she needs to be in her own bed, but doesn't seem to want to put her there. How do I get her in her own bed? How do I discuss this problem with my boyfriend? Is it even a problem or am I just being selfish? Please help cause I'm exhausted and don't know what to do.

Jen42585

Asked by Jen42585 at 6:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would say you have got to talk to him about him taking control of this situation. you dont want this child to see you as the bad guy or the interloper. you are NOT being selfish at all. I think you just need to sit down with him when no little ears can hear, tell him that you are getting less and less sleep. andthat having a child share the bed does not work for either of you really. that you need HIM to set some boundaries including him getting up and taking her back to bed, tucking her in, and explaining she needs to sleep in her own bed. and this might take weeks and weeks of him repeating the process. he is going to have to be consistant for her to stop. its his child, he has got to take a firm parental hand here.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i have had the same problem in the past my son now goes to his own bed but it took more to get my daughter to go i think boys think it is sick after age 6 but my girl she still ask to stay in mom and dads room at night.It is a problem and I have to say you are a big girl now lets start with doing the biggest girl thing of all sleeping in the big girls bed herself. I read her a book and by that time she is usually asleep now i miss her.
    krystal9099

Answer by krystal9099 at 6:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010