I drink bottled water, and lately I heard it is toxic to drink and unhealthy. Is this true and is it all plastic bottle water that is affected???

I drink Propel mostly and pure water, different brands each time. Am I slowly poisoning my system???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• "you should look at the recycling code on the bottom of a bottle for more information. Hard plastics with the numbers two, four, or five are generally viewed as safe to drink from and re-use, while bottles with numbers one, three, six, or seven may pose a leaching risk, and you should avoid them." This is from wisegeek.com

I've read a lot by googling, some sources saying it is safe, others saying it isn't.

Answer by Bmat at 7:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The issue comes about when you're reusing plastic bottles. You should never use them more than 3 times, because then the plastic starts to break down and that's when you get chemicals in your system. If you're drinking regular water, I'd suggest getting a purifying system, putting it in your fridge, and using a steel water bottle.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 7:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Plastic bottles also become toxic if they have been sitting a warm place like a car in the summer.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• A professor at the college I work for did a talk on this. Like rockinmomto2 said it comes with the reusing the bottles and even if you dont open the bottles but keep them in storage after a while (a long while) the chemicals breakdown into the water from the bottle. If your just drinking and tossing your safe.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 7:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I drink Nestle water, I seriously doubt the OP's statement is true... Hopefully!!!
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 7:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• you got some great answers already :o) Drink from them just don't reuse them if possible.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 7:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Interesting info ladies. I buy these blue reusable chemical free galon jugs & i fill them up with water very cheaply at our grocery store for $.30 a gallon. And i also have chemical free reusable water bottles that you can reuse forever.

Yeah, plastic is not good for you. It can slowly poison you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• As all answers, I think it's an undetermined object of argument. LOL But I do think using numerous plastic containers just to drink out of each day is not hte best choice. Even if you are recycling. You drink flavored water. Have you thought of flavoring real water yourself? Like with lemon, lime, adding a small amt of juice. That is what I do. You get used to it. Or even plain water, it's better for you than the flavored stuff you are buying. And getting a stainless steel water bottle is better than the plastic ones.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You shouldn't freeze plastic bottles either.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• From what I've read, some bottled water actually has more chemicals/toxins than tap water in a lot of cases. Using a stainless steel reusable bottle and filling it with filtered tap water is the best way to go!

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010