If you have been in a car accident before...

has it changed the way you drive? I used to slow down or stop to let people turn in front of me however I was recently rear ended really bad and now I no longer do that for fear of being hit again from behind!

Mommy_0f_many

Asked by Mommy_0f_many at 7:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Travel

• I rear ended someone else about 7 years ago, I didn't see them stopping to make a turn until it was too late, we were going uphill and I think they stopped accelerating but didn't actually hit the brakes until the last second, so I didn't see any brake lights and didn't realize they were slowing down. Plus it was on my way home from school; I was on autopilot and I didn't even know you could stop and turn where they stopped. Anyway, I'm really paranoid about getting too close to other people and slow way down whenever the people in front of me start to slow down. My mom was in an accident a year or so ago, she pulled out in front of someone to make a turn, I think the sun was in her eye or something and she didn't see them coming. I was riding with her the other day and she is REALLY paranoid now, she takes forever to make turns making sure no one is anywhere close.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The fear of being hit will fade as time takes you further and further away from the accident date. Practice the safe and polite things you always did. Remember to use the right of way when you have it. I have seen some near accidents when people are trying to be kind to let others turn, but they have the right of way and should abide by that.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My car was hit from behind when I had to brake suddenly for two cars that had stopped in the fast lane. Now whenever I see this type of situation coming up, or anytime I know I will have to slow or stop, I keep tapping my brake pedal and hope the drivers behind me take notice.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have been in two car accidents in my adult life. They both changed the way I drive. The first one, I learned turn signals mean nothing. If they have one on, and are in the turning lane, that does not necessarily mean they intend to turn! They can always whip back out at the last minute, and knock you into a nearby yard!
    The second one I learned that I need to slow down!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yeah, I drive like a grandma. I always give others the right of way, i let them cut in front of me... I'm a total passive drivier after being in a few accidents. None of them were my fault, but i do still think it changed the way i drive.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• oh yes i was in a very serious mva in 2007 and was in a coma 4 2 weeks and have had many complications since have had 18surgeries since the accident!! a persons fear never goes away after i think! good luck xx
    kavenah

Answer by kavenah at 8:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have been in two accidents. The first one was my fault, I was really young and just didn't have the driving experience. The second one was not my fault. I think more than anything just time and experience has made me a good driver, I am very aware and careful and that has helped me to avoid MANY accidents, because paying attention and driving defensively is the best way to avoid accidents.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I was in a roll over going 70 MPH. That was 13 years ago and I still drive differently because of it. I'm jumpy now and tend to over react and over correct. I was actually a safer driver before the accident. I now never go 70 MPH. Here in Texas we have long stretches of highways that are 70 MPH because our state is so big, but I never drive over 60 or 65 MPH now. I also don't let anyone ride with me without buckling up...even a grown up on the back row of my van must buckle up before I will start the car. My seatbelt saved my life. My car rolled over twice before hitting an iron cattle fence which stopped my roll.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I drive a lot more cautiously. I don't drive as carelessly as I used to. Especially since I had a kid. I drive like a grandma and I don't care. My daughter's life and safety are worth it. People can honk and go around me all day long, I don't care.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I was hit last Friday at a stoplight by a woman who ran the light, hit another car almost head-on, and then bounced into me. I did not drive again until yesterday, and I was terrified. I saw every car as a potential bomb coming at me. I've always be a cautious driver and to have been hit while I was sitting perfectly still has really unnerved me. People are in too much of a hurry. A few seconds can mean the difference between life and death. As I was pulling into my own drive-way yesterday afternoon, the guy behind me sat on his horn, I guess because I didn't get out of his way quickly enough. My life and the life of my grandchildren are far more important than a few seconds of his precious time, and I will probably be taking more time in the future and not less. Some accidents, as I found, cannot be avoided, but all of us can take our time and we can be cautious. The life we save may be our own!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2010