What makes a guy worth dating?

I am about to be single again and I would like to know what you mommas think makes a guy worth dating?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• For me, when I was a single mom it was a guy that I knew would be good with my children. I ended up marrying a guy who started out as a friend, that I would normally NEVER have considered dating (he shaves his head, has facial hair, used to have multiple piercings - not my "type" at all) because he came over to drop some stuff from school off for me and when my kids asked him to play he immediately joined in. Weird as it was, that was a huge turn on for me - big, tough guy that he was could get down on my 4-5 year olds level and just play!

Answer by missanc at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Character is the most important thing to look for. Does he keep his word? If he tells anyone anything, can you count on it to be true? If he says he will do anything, does he do it? Is he willing to take responsibility for his screw-ups, or is everything always the fault of someone else? Does he have any addictions--drugs, alcohol, porn, gambling? How does he treat his mother and his sisters?(Hint--that's how he will treat his wife!) Is he looking for a wife or just some easy sex? Is he a gentleman? Does he open car doors, let you enter a room first? Or is he rude and inconsiderate? Where does he like to hang out? Who are his friends and do you really like them? Are they people you enjoy being with? What kind of relationship does he have with his family? How much emotional baggage does he have? Is he the controling type? Any criminal history? Remember that love is not a feeling; it's a serious commitment!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Someone who respects you and treats you the way you deserve to be treated.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Someone who is very caring, very respectful, very honest and treats you the way you deserve to be treated. Someone who is going to try to find an interest in all of the things you care about. And of course a good sense of humor. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Someone with a good sense of himself, and where he sees himself in the world. He should treat you with respect and kindness, and be willing to work with you toward goals and overcoming baggage.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• A person who has strong goals. A person who is kind to me and respects me. A person who has a sense of humor. Somebody who is funny and likes social activities. Somebody who likes to travel. Somebody who likes money and likes to make it, but doesn't make it their FIRST priority-I have a workacholic now he never used to be that way, though...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I knew with my hubby on the first date because he opened all doors for me, he listened to me, showed interest in me, and when he talked about his ex he was kind and gentle and alittle sentimental. Also he was honest with me even if it didn't paint him in a good light. All qualities that I need. I found him to be loyal as well so that helps a lot.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• the first thing that comes to mind is take a break from dating and get to know yourself and get comfortable with what you truly want in a relationship. there is no one who can tell you what makes it worth it to YOU. there are plenty of signs of guys to steer clear of, but you want to spend your valuable time with someone whose presence makes you happy and enhances your life, someone who accepts you for you - all your moods and faults (although you don't lay it all out there right away), and who puts forth an equal amount of effort as well as respecting your need for space. you will attract a better partner for yourself if you are involved in your own life separate from anyone but your child(ren), and even apart from them at times.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• He has to be able to handle thing, I don't want to be getting up at midnight to go change his flat tire. He has to be funny and able to play and joke with me. He has to be kind and make me feel good about myself when I'm near him. Someone I can talk to. He has to be good with kids and have a good job, not be some lazy guy that hasn't had a job in three years.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Respect -- someone who puts your needs before their own (of course you have to counter that with respecting him and putting his needs before your own as well). Also if you have kids, which I am assuming you do since this is cafemom, someone who likes kids, and who is fine with you having kids. If a guy knows you have kids, but never asks a question about them, then IMO they are not worth dating
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2010