moms that took leave when baby was born

im taking a month off of work and im due in 18 days and we tried saving the money up for when i go on leave but had things that came up that we weren't expecting it to with money so my question is any of you had this happen and what all did you do to come up with the money im lost on were to turn we ran out of ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know this will sound odd, but my job let me use my short term disability. The doctor wrote them a letter saying that I wasn't allowed to work for a minimum of 4 weeks due to labor and delivery. It wasn't full pay, but it certainly helped until I went back to work.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I took off 10 weeks. My work covered for 6 weeks of pay at 100%, then I took 2 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of no pay.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Do you not have any Short-term disability through your job? I get 80% of my pay for 8 weeks.
    You also have to think that when you aren't working you can save on gas and some food costs because you won't have to eat lunch out during that time. Could you temporarily cut back/ cut off cable? Internet? Home Phone? If you have car payments, etc you could call them and tell them your situation. Sometimes they will be understanding and work with you. I lost a job once and was out fo work for 3 weeks. I called my finance company and they basically said "ok, you can not pay this month and we'll just take this on to the end of your loan". It added a few dollars in interest but I just paid extra a few times and caught up.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My work covered 6 weeks with my daughter and 12 weeks with my boys (c-section with complications) then I used my vacation time I had saved from previous year and current year (leaving myself some for Thanksgiving and Christmas though). So I was out for approx 5 mths with my DD and 8 mths with my boys.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I was off for 8 weeks with my first. I got 6 weeks of disability (but it was only like 60% of my pay). With my second I took off 3 months and it was rough money wise. We struggled and it took us a long time to recover from that. We just used the credit card a lot. That's not good advice, but that's all I got.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Honestly, we were just broke for a little while. I had short term disability too that paid 66% for 6 weeks. You are going to NEED that time off. I took 10 weeks after he was born and it was no where near enough. It's hard to give ideas without any idea of your situation, but maybe you could have a garage sale, sell some stuff on Ebay, cut your bills down, clip coupons, borrow money from family, etc.
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• don't know why i post anon but no my job wont help less i was put in as full time i been getting full time hours scents i work there but not in the computer as it and now there going to move me to full time when i get back from leave as for bills i don't know of any were can cut back on cause our car is every week but were going to try my boss said to try the states short term disability but i don't know where to even start looking at that im just so lost and i tried looking into thing before now and everyone said things will work out but im stressing on it and i don't know where to turn hubby said he'll get a second job but i don't see how he can when he works anywhere from 5am to 8pm 5 sometimes 6 days a week i look at things i can maybe do when im on leave but i think there all scams
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I took 3 months off and I had short term disability to pay me 60% of my salary.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My work covered my leave at 100%. Can you get short term disability to cover part of your pay?
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• the only way i could is if state does something like that i dont know where to start looking i live in Colorado and im looking online but im still lost
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010