I've been potty training my little boy for nine months and he was doing real good on telling me most of the time when he had to go. Now for the last few weeks he is going backwards. It's like he's never been worked with, he never tells me that he has to go. If I ask him he always says "no" he doesn't have to go. He just turned 3. I was just wondering if there were any other Mom's having this same problem.

Do any of you have the problem of your child going backwards in potty training?

Iva77

Asked by Iva77 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes. We are going thru it for the 3rd time at 3. The key is to not ask if they have to go but to tell them that they need to go. It's not a request but an order. don't give him the option. They are not responsibile enough still at this age to be reliable and remember. Too many things to learn and do to waste time to go potty.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• This is common. But we all have good days & bad with this.. I think its common. What helps here is if his older brother has to go and then he feels he has to as well. I think potty training is the toughest job. Good luck.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's very common for children to regress. This is when you have to step in and say "Okay, it's been two hours since he's last gone (for example), so it's probably likely that he has to go." Take him anyway to the bathroom. He'll most likely go for you and then you just need to give postive reinforcement. Let him know that he needs to tell you, so that he can make it to the potty ontime.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We do, my son will use the potty but if I start to ask if he has to go or show interest in him using it regularly then he won't anymore. And God forbid I try to make him use it if he says no, I mean not make him but just take him into the bathroom.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 12:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You've potty trained your child for nine months? I hope you meant he has been potty trained for nine months and then began to regress because potty training a child for nine months sounds like he's being pushed...anyway...he just turned 3, let him go at his own pace. Don't rush him or you'll have issues later on with him and don't get frustrated, be patient with him and it will work out in time
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 5:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I'd just revert to taking him regularly as others suggest. I know it is common to regress. We only started training our son when he turned 3...
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Go back to 101 potty training like you did from the begining. And I would say don't ask tell him it is time and take him... I never ask "DO YOU WANT" I always say "IT IS TIME" I found when you ask do you want to lets say brush teeth wht is the answer we get NO' So ya tell don't ask...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My son is a little over 3 and he does fine with the peeing in the potty but lately he doesn't let me know when he has to go poop .. and more than once this week he has had an accident and i am so lost with what to do next
    ashleym1318

Answer by ashleym1318 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010