Have you ever experienced someone having a seizure?

What is important to know if you have no medical training? I mean besides immediately dialing 911? Is it different for a child than an adult?

LauraMi261

Asked by LauraMi261 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Health

• I have a cousin with severe epilepsy, so yes I have witnessed them many times.
    The safety precautions that I have been taught all my life include the following:
    Never try and hold them still, you could injure them or yourself during the process.
    Gently lie them down, on their side, if they are standing or sitting.
    Do NOT place anything into their mouths!
    Clear the area around where they are, that way they do not accidentally hit anything while they are seizing.
    If this is something that is "normal" for them, you do not necessarily have to call an ambulance. If it is not generally a symptom of a medical condition they have, call 911 immediately to get medical assistance.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• 1.During seizure there are safety precautions to prevent injury, you should loosen restrictive clothing, roll the person on side to prevent aspiration, place a small pillow under the head and ease from a standing or sitting position to the floor.
    Don't move the person unless he or she is in immediate danger. .
    2.You shouldn’t place a finger or other object into the person's mouth to protect or straighten the tongue--it is unnecessary and dangerous.
    3.Don't perform artificial respiration during a seizure, even if the person is turning blue. Most seizures are over long before brain damage from lack of oxygen begins.
    4.You shouldn’t try to hold the person still because you may injure the individual or yourself.
    5.If the person has vomited, you roll them to the side
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes this guy in high school had one sitting right next to me. The only thing we did was get a few coats and pile them on the floor and gently ease him down so he would hit his head on the ground.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If a person has a grand mal seizure, it is important to help them quickly get down on the floor. Clear the area of furniture and get them to lay on their side. A towel or jacket of something soft should be put between their head and the floor to prevent them hitting it. DO NOT EVER put something in a person's mouth when they are having a seizure. As long as they are on their side and not their back, there is very little chance of them biting off or choking on their tongue. Hold their hand, talk calmly to them, and time the seizure. If you do not know the person's medical background or the specifics of their seizures, it is best to send someone to call 911. One of the first things the EMTs will want to know is how long the seizure lasts so try and be specific. Minutes count. Once the seizure is over, the person may act very drowsy and disoriented. Try and keep them laying down in case they have a 2nd seizure.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• MamaHardy2008 covered it. Some things to add to her list is do NOT hold their hand while they are seizing because they could injure your hand due to how tight their grip is, you roll them on their side regardless of whether they throw up or not so that they don't choke on their own tongue, and I would not advise putting a pillow under their head. My mom has had grand mal seizures since I was a child so I've dealt with them my entire life. Remember to stay calm.
    Quick to do list:
    1. Roll them on their side immediately.
    2. DO NOT put anything in their mouth or hold their hand.
    3. Just wait.
    ....I also spoke to my mom about various things while she was in the middle of a seizure. I always felt like it calmed her down and I know it helped me stay calm also.

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wow, yes I have experienced this. My husband experienced a gran mal seizure on Feb 1st at our son's school talent show. I was scared! At the time I thought he was having a stroke as he had never had a seizure before. He is 54 yrs old. The talent show hadn't started yet and we drove separately (thank goodness he wasn't driving when it happened). He had just told me "I had that deja vu feeling again today". He had that feeling a few times before in the last few years. A couple minutes later he was seizing. He is fine now. We were watching the "Dr. Oz" show the other day and he said that if someone is having a seizure to just make sure they are safe (not going to hit their head on something, etc) and stay with them until it is over. Don't try to put anything in their mouth especially your fingers. My husband bit his tongue really bad, but it healed up in a couple weeks. Call ur dr office with questions or go online.
    donnawho

Answer by donnawho at 10:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes,my son had one during an extremely high fever-106 degrees. Most times you don't need to call 911.Just make sure there's nothing around that can harm them and watch to make sure they are breathing well after its over.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• One of my sons had them many times between the ages of 6 mo and 3 years.

You don't need to call 911. There isn't anything to do. If you read what the first person said, she is really saying don't do anything except put the person on their side if they vomit. The only reason to call 911 would be if the person hurt themselves badly, very bad cut or broken bone sticking out the skin. By the time 911 go there there would be nothing they or the ER could do. If it was the person's first seizure they would need to make an appointment with their doctor.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think that everyone covered it. My bil has epilepsy so we have seen a few. We however always call 911 for him because he always has trouble breathing afterward.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have a friend who has seizures and an uncle. The only thing is to make sure that they are safe and cannot hurt themselves.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 9:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2010