EAR PIERCING

I am thinking of piercing my babys ears @ the dr (she is 11 mos)..has anyone had any trouble once the piercing was in? and can you take them out at night when sleeping after a while? she always sleeps on her side and i hate sleepin w/earrings on .. just want her to be comfy :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have sensitive skin and even with the special earrings I can have problems with ear pain. It can also be painful laying on an earring. If you take them out you risk them growing closed a little and getting infected when you put an earring back in. They could get infected at any time. The earring can come out and the baby swallow it. For all these reasons I don't think it's a good idea to get a baby's ears pierced. It might be a fun thing to do around the time she gets her first period or turns 16.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She's too young. Wait until she asks. I remember having mine done at 5. I asked. It hurt, but was my choice.

If you insist PLEASE go to a real pierer to have it done properly with a needle. Do NOT go to those piercing places that use the guns. It hurts a lot more and is damaging and takes longer to heal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Another thing to think about...sometimes when you pierce a babys ear, when she grows up the hole is in a funny place. My little brothers girlfriends earing are at the very bottom of her earlobe because that's the way they shifted as she grew.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If you want her to be comfy, why not wait a little longer to get it done. At this age it's more about what you think is cute rather than what she really wants anyway.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I didn't pierce my daughters' ears until they were 5 & almost 3.. I was too nervous with them being babies.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• if you are concerned with her comfort- i wouldn't get it done. Wait until she's old enough to decide she wants them herself ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with all the previous posters - if you're so concerned about her comfort, DO NOT pierce her ears. Why would you want to cause her pain, just so you can decorate her? I'm sure she's beautiful without putting unnecessary holes in her body. Let her make that decision when she's older.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think babies with ear piercings are adorable, but I also think you should wait until she asks to get her ears pierced. Let it be ger decision.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My daughter is 3 months and I had her ears pierced when she was 2 months and have had no problems with them. She cried briefley but no more than when she gets her shots. she doesn't pull at them, touch them, nor has it changed her sleep pattern. She too lays on her side and has no problems. I also had mine done as a baby and have NEVER had any problems. I am not trying to convience you to do it I just wanted to give you a positive view on the situation. Plus, I must admit she looks soo adorable with them in.

You must leave the earrings in for at least 6 weeks before taking them out.
    hotmama_25

Answer by hotmama_25 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I agree with all the previous posters... I would wait to get them done! They can be a lot of work with having to clean them everynight... I agree they look adorable but I would wait!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010