How do you roast a pig?

We were thinking of doing a pig roast this summer but neither one of us has a clue as to how to do it.
I personally think its gross,lol. But dh really wants to have the pig roast, so I'm sucking it up,lol.
I've heard some people do it underground? How would you do that?
Do you build a rotisserie or something? I just have no clue.
Any ideas would be helpful! Thankyou!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My dad cut a huge barrel in half lengthwise and put hinges on one side to make a bottom and lid. He took a long piece of clean metal rod and skewered the hog, built a fire in the bottom of the barrel and let it get to hot (char)coals, placed the hog over the coals, rigged a motor to the rod for a rotisserie, and closed the lid. Let it cook for several hours, keeping the coals hot. He also basted the hog with a light BBQ sauce.

Check around at local slaughterhouses. I know that ours have pig roasters to rent or they'll roast one for you.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We always roasted them in a pit. Dig a hole deep enough to be able to fit softball size rocks in with the pig on top (wrapped in foil) with lots of coals all around the rocks. Slow and indirect. Depending on the size of the pig, you may need more than a days headstart.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 10:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well, I know in Hawaii they dig a huge pit and put coal with rocks on top of it, cover the pit and let the thing cook,,,surely there is a BBQ place that will bring their giant thing to your house? I have NO idea how much this would cost,,the grill that holds the pig is really huge,,,,honestly every time (except Hawaii) the pig tasted tough,, maybe a clam bake instead? LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i have no idea... but the best I have ever eaten was done in a big hole on the beach.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• you have to build or rent a rotisserie that is made to hold the weight of a pig and large enough to fit the pig. The first one my parents hosted they got a pig too big and had to take off the head and legs to get it to fit onto the spit. (reason why I don't eat pig anymore).

the rotisserie has to have room to house the coals as well as enough room to rotate the pig.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2010