when should my 11 year old start shaveing??

i have a 11 year old i dont know when to teach her when to shave

helpleness

Asked by helpleness at 9:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I can remember being in 5th grade and I had dark hair on my legs and some girls would make fun of me b/c my mom never taught me to shave so I would say now. I can remember how that felt, and ended up doing it myslef.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 9:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I let my daughter start shaving her legs this year. She is almost 10. I wouldnt normally consider it, but she had really dark thick hair and it was embarrassing her. She wouldnt even wear shorts or dresses in the summer!! She does pretty well, hardly ever a nick or a cut.
    notsoaveragemom

Answer by notsoaveragemom at 10:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My parents let me start shaving my legs with an electric razor (so I wouldn't cut myself) when I was in 5th grade. Then I gradually moved on to real razors in middle school..
    Jessica_1717

Answer by Jessica_1717 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Totally agree with Jessica_1717
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• depends on the kid.. I had to sneak around and shave. My mother caught me at 16 and asked me who gave me permission. I clearly remember telling her I'd been shaving my legs since I was 12. She just huffed away. Whenever you decide teach her about under arms as well. At 13 some girls in gym started making fun of me bad..I didn't know and know had ever told me women shave under their arms. Yep, that's my Mom
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Now is a good time. My daughter is 11 now and we just taught her how to shave. This is about the age where they can understand how to do it correctly. Honestly, I sat in with my daughter her first 2 times and then she came out of the bathroom one day and said look mom I did it all by myself. She's been doing it on her own since. Good Luck.
    sweetsone

Answer by sweetsone at 10:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Hygene isn't a matter of age but of need. Never is anyone more judgemental or cruel than when we are kids. Shaving gels and creams can help with the irritation and show the girl where the job has already been done.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My mom forced me to use Nair, the hair removal cream for like 2 years. She was afraid I'd cut myself and she told me once you start shaving it comes back thicker and coarser so I did until I get fed up one day before we went to the beach. I did the classic take a chunk of skin off your ankle routine and bled like crazy for a while in the shower. I went back to Nair for a year or so then started shaving at like 14 ish. The Nair was the safest bet but that stuff smells and takes a while to work.
    LilHellion

Answer by LilHellion at 11:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I started at 12 because kids were making fun of me. Luckilly my daughter has lighter hair than I do so she might skate by for a bit longer.
    FORCEOFGRAVITY

Answer by FORCEOFGRAVITY at 11:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was aloud to start shaving in 6th grade, after begging my mom. All my other friends started shaving the year before and I was getting made fun of. So I would teach her how to now. You don't want her sneaking around, and cutting herself because she is doing it wrong.
    mamashearer

Answer by mamashearer at 11:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2008