How much time a day do you spend playing outside with your kids?

I mean actively invovled with their play not just sitting there watching them.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• not much, unless you count the bike riding, the ball throwing/catching/running waaaaay over the yard to keep up with him (big difference in the energy level of a 5yo boy and his out of shape 40yo mom), the swimming/watergun fights, exploring the neighborhood, playing on the playground equipment at the park, becoming chalk artists on the driveway/sidewalk/patios. nope, not much interaction at all.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well.. I work until 3pm, but as soon as I get home we go outside to play! And we are out there until dinner time usually.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Not much right now because its either raining or really hot. We went swimming a little the other day, and I make sure she gets at least 15 minutes, but mostly we stay in.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 10:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Being almost 7 months pregnant, it's really hard for me to be actively involved with their play, and at 7 and 5 years old, they're not all that interested in playing with me anyhow, but we're outside about 2 1/2 hours a day. Sometimes they'll agree to let boring 'ol mom in on the fun stuff and we'll play with barbies or their LPS stuff outside, but that doesn't happen too often. I forget that even though i'm young (25) to them i'm old, lol.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• as much as possible!!!!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's 9 million degrees here now, so not much...When the weather is decent we spend an hour atleast a day outside, ride to the park and play tag :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wish I did more but it's hard when I also have to watch a 5 month old and keep her out of the sun.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well, they are 3 and 4. We have a pool and we swim together all the time when I am not at work. For the most part in the evenings they would rather play with the little boy 4 houses down, so my DH and I sit out on the porch and watch them. We get us time and they have fun and we know they are safe. Then we catch lightening bugs with them until the misquito's drive us in.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• None.  I don't have the energy for that.  They play with each other outside while I do other stuff.  They are 10, 8 , 7 and 4.  They don't need me to play with them.  Maybe if we had a bigger yard I'd like to teach them to play frisbee (one of my favorites) but we don't have the space here.  The frisbee always ends up in the middle of the street and gets run over, lol.  Plus I'm 9 months pregnant.  I can't do anything any more.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2010