What would you call a mom...

who spends more time out partying and hanging out with her friends, then with her 2 year old son?
One of my friends has a 2 year old son, Chase. She had him when she was 19...unplanned. She still lives at home with her parents and works part-time. Before work, during, and after work, Chase is left with her parents or a babysitter. She goes to the mall with one of her friends before she goes into work, and then goes out to the bars afterwards. Most days she only sees him for like 2 hours total. It is really aggravating me and I am constantly biting my tongue from saying something to her about never EVER being with her child. I won't ever say anything to her, but I was just wondering what you other moms thought.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm a teen and i got pregnant at the age of 15 but i call my self my daughter mom because i work for her, i spend my money with things she needs, i spend alot of times with her and i give her love and everything i can, because yes i made a mistake but being a mom means be more responsible, she should know that she is not the number one anymore she have to think first her son and than her.
    I don't call her mom, because she only work . being a mom it's not paying for diaper and food. It to BE THERE FOR HER SON!
    she need's to grow up because she can't have the life she had before she got pregnant.
    I'm only 16 and i work and i pay for someone to take care of my daughter,a dn i Care about her!
    I work fulltime but i still have time to spend with her.
    You should tell her that she is not being a mom, and she is not the only teen in the world that got pregnant.she made a mistake and she have to accept the consequences of her action.
    Sofiah

Answer by Sofiah at 10:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Irresponsible and immature.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• As a mother that was in that situation myself and who had a daughter in that situation as well, I would say it's her parents' fault. If you allow that, of course they are going to take advantage. Luckily, my parents did not allow me to leave my child with them unless I needed too. I instilled the same value in my daughter. They are your kids, you had them. Grandparents have already raised their children. That's a very sad thing to do. Not only will she not grow up and take responsibility, but the child will always feel it's the grandparents' responsibility to take care of him/her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She doesn't sound like she is ready to be a mom at all. He is probably better off with the babysitter or the grandparents who probably give him more love and attention then she would if she were with him.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sounds like my cousin! She has a 2 mo old son,doesn't work,lives with mom,and goes out and gets s***faced 2 times a week! I say these women should be stripped of the title of Mother. Lets call them egg donors.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Its selfish. I don't have friends like that and the only reason I even associate with someone like that is because that's how my sister is. I would feel bad for her kids, but its probably better that they are raised more by my mom than her.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I would call her irresponsible, and inattentive to her child. I have a friend like this. Even when her son was in the NICU for a month, she was too wrapped up in her own life and only went to see him a couple times a week. It's sad, but, what can you do? At least the children have someone to care for them and they're not being left alone or neglected by the people who actually provide the care to them.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I think a better question is Why are you still friends with her?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Irresponsible and immature. - ditto

she is not fully understanding her role as a mom - her parents are not helping either.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She is selfish and needs to grow up. But he probably is better off with people who actually care about him than a brat for a mother who can't go any length of time away from her friends or booze.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010