Co-Sleeping Question

My son is four months old. I have been co-sleeping with him since he was 2 months old. I started co-sleeping because we both slept almost through the night that way. He usually wakes up only once or twice to nurse. The past three ngihts he has wanted to use my nipple as a pacifier all night! He wakes up about every hour and cries until I give it to him. He won't nurse, but just kind of plays with it until he falls asleep, and then wakes up again wanting it back. It's starting to wake my husband, who gets up at 4 AM fir work. He will take a regular pacifier during the day, but not at night now. He just wants my nipple. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? I am so sore! I feel like I just started nursing all over again! Ouch! I'm almost at the point of just putting him back in his crib, if we're going to be up all night anyways!

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried giving him a real pacifier?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It sounds like he doesn't want the paci because you are so close. Have you thought about putting him in his crib in your room.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I remember those days. I co-slept with DD until she was 4. I remember watching her fall asleep & trying to slowly take my nipple out of her mouth trying not to wake her. But, as soon as it was almost out there she was trying to get it back in. What worked for me was laying her on my chest. We slept a lot like this. I think my heart beat kept her calm & made her sleepy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My daughter does this, too. I honestly got a little frustrated last night & tried nursing her to sleep, then putting her in her bed (she does sleep there the first part of the night & for naps). She was playing with my nipple, kicking me in the stomach, elbowing me in the breast...it's been like this for a few weeks now. I tried getting her to sleep in her bed (which is right next to our bed) for about 2 hours....I don't really have any advice for you...just wanted to let you know you're not alone. If you figure out something that works - let me know!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• There was room for the bassinet in my room, but he has out grown it. We live in a very small space, and there is not enough room for his crib in my room, but I can put him back in his crib in his room, if that would be the best answer. I love so-sleeping, but I am SO sore! Plus, I;m worried about my husband getting enough sleep. It was fine when he was just getting up once or twice to nurse. He didn't even cry. I would feel him moving, and nurse him, and then we would just go back to sleep. It was so easy!
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Then I would say put him in the crib. Worst case, he will end up back in bed with you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wheeping, He does the kicking my stomach and tossing around too.
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Using a pacifier at all is probablly a bad idea. Breastfed babies that don't ever get pacifiers generally don't use mom as a pacifier. Once you get rid of the pacifer things should improve. Pacifiers can start causing problems at any time during breastfeeding, that's why they aren't recommended by La Leche League, the American Academy of Pedicatrics, the World Health Ass, and other groups concerned about breastfeeding. You can be going along thinking my baby is doing so good with breastfeeding and using pacifers and/or bottles and then one day the problems can start.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You may have exacerbated the problem by using a pacifier which is a mom substitute, not the other way around--so his latch may be off. That said, he may be in or entering a growth spurt. What helps is to not fight. Give him the nipple and once he is deep asleep remove it. He will soon do that on his own. If you battle he will wake up more! A few seconds of nipple vs fighting? Think about it.

My baby does the stomach kick when she is eithr too hot or has to pee. If she is dry I otty her (yes even at 4 months -- elimination communication) or I changed her If i missed it. People foget that babies wake up to pee! I learned that there was always a reason for restlessness. Sometimes i was as simple as wanting to lay on the left rather than right!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• amilee girl what do you do? are you a midwife? child specialist of some sort?
    GingerMom33

Comment by GingerMom33 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010