what do you see different about todays teens compared to teens 20,30, 40 yrs ago

you can ask you parents for help on this if you need to.

Windwalker2002

Asked by Windwalker2002 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• They used to wear more than underware to school....
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Irresponsibility. When I was a kid, we had to get up early to help our parents with housework, chores, farm work. Now, some parents might call that child abuse.

Actually, I have a journal post about this.  I think it explains it all:  To All The Kids Who Survived

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I don't think today's teens are as independent as the teens from even the last decade, and even less than the ones before that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• my DH is 12 years older than me, and even with just that 12 year gap, there are huge differences in the way things were during our teenage years. When i was in 6th grade, kids were selling weed in middle school. DH was still playing with GI Joe's when he was in 6th grade...LOL! I think kids grow up a lot faster these days. I also think that among wealthier people, kids are waaay more spoiled & babied until adult hood. I had so many wealthy friends that were so pissed when their parents cut them off at 25. I was cut off at 14...lol. But, i think there are a lot of differences in today's children. They are raised with more technology. I think kids fall to further extremes than they used to, i guess that is what i am trying to say here. This could just be my observation.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Teens now are irresponsible, unreliable and rude. Their world is centered around technology and they dont know how to have fun anymore. I just got into this discussion with my baby fathers neice. She is real close to me, but she is 14 and I just had to put her in place. She walking around pouting because her mom said she couldnt go outside because we was about to leave the house and she didnt want to go. I hated to step on her moms toes, but I had just about had enough of her mouth and her nasty attitude, I had to remind her that she is 14 yrs old and just because those little hood rats stand outside the building night and day and run up and down the street didnt mean she was about to. It was very clear that she didnt understand anything we were saying and she thought we were just being mean. They have no concept of what dangerous is. I said somebody could snatch you and she goes, Im not stupid... Deja goodbye.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• They are more likely to live with their parents. I'm 54. When I was a teen you moved out of your parents home when you graduated HS to go to college, get married, or you got a job and a house or apartment. I moved out when I was 18 and went to college never to move back. My mother got married at 18 and never moved back.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I get some talking back and eye rolling, but its a common thing now that kids walk on there moms and dads I evon saw a kid in my block yelling at his dad I could not belive my eyes the girl walking down the street w/a fawl every outher word ,I would say a bad word that age,And I would not yell at my mom and dad not evon at moy age 37
    Chris
    christine121

Answer by christine121 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Disrespectfull and the world owes them...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 1:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• They had more clothes on, less gangs (well I guess where you live), you could stay out and play with your friends outside till the street lights came on because there werent so many crazy nut jobs out there, girls didnt develop as much (I think its something in the water), and kids were less sexually active ( or they hid it well, and there were less teen pregnancies!) but that be because that was always a thing you never told anyone.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Seeing I was a teen about 22 years ago, I don't need help. WE were more respectful, listened to our parents and teachers. We did what we were told and we wore our pants on our hips without our butts hanging out. We worked for what we got and we didn't demand anything. We didn't feel we were entitiled to anything, period!!! We were afraid of what our parents would do if we did something wrong. Our parents weren't afraid to discipline us.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2010