has anyone had a bad ant problem

I have baby ant in the house since its summer and I want to pull my hair out. They got into my cabinets and into all the food. We threw out everything. I've sprayed and they're back. I think I have to get an exterminator but are they harmful with a baby in the house?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We have had the same problem. We sprayed the outside of the house and also got torrent. I also deep cleaned the cabinets and the floor.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• you probably need an exterminator to spray inside and the perimeter of the house, possibly the yard, as well. you will want to be out of the house for a while after spraying, maybe open a window or two, and don't let the baby on the floor, if she/he is crawling/toddling around.
    i just got bit by a black ant four days ago..i guess it fell out of a tree? idk..anyway, it was in my tank top, and i still have five places on my boobalas that were bitten..and itch like crazy!!
    call the exterminator. today.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:43 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• YES! We've never had this problem before, and neither have my parents, but they have them this year too. I hate it! I keep a very clean house, and it makes me feel like our house it dirty when these stupid little b*tches are crawling around, lol! i've set up ant traps, and I've sprayed and they'll go away for a few days, then come back. I never see a bunch at a time, or where they're coming from...usually I'll see 3 or 4 at a time, kill the, and not find anymore. I'm calling some sort of pesticide place soon, because it's driving me crazy!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:44 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I am not sure about the exterminator but have you tried those little white ant traps? I had a bad ant problem in my old house. I cleaned everything out sprayed vinegar everywhere (I guess ants hate vinegar) an put those little ant traps in my garbage, cabinets, counters and by the doors, it worked well. Good Luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• we get this every summer when the rain starts .....dh brought something home from work and there all gone....last year I had about fifty sprays I used :(......I wish he was home to ask what its called but hes not !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Call and ask about the safety of products the exterminator would use.

We have had ants at different times. One thing that works well is 50/50 mix of Borax and sugar. Sprinkle it around your foundation. The ants are attracted to the sweetness of the sugar and then die from the Borax. You do need to repeat it after it rains, though.

The worst time was when they found their way into the house through a crack in the foundation. So go outside and look around to find their access point. We saw them inside and it was more than usual. We discovered that we also had a leak in the bathroom and that leak was their source of water. We actually had to open up the wall behind the tub faucet and we found an entire nest there. Had to take out insulation, spray, use Borax, etc. Leak is finally fixed and ants are gone. It was a mess. GOOD LUCK!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We had them really bad a couple months ago...but now that I'm saying this ther gonna come back,lol.
    I went nuts, went through every cubbard pulled out everything in them and scrubbed all this insides.Then I went through all the stuff I had pulled out and I tossed all open boxes of food..like rice,oatmeal,cereal etc. Anything that was salvagable I put into ziplock bags...and thats how I keep ALL my cabinet food now...everything is either in a sealed tupperwear container or a sealed ziploc bag soon as something gets opened.I put out ant traps under the sinks,I sprayed ant killer in all the cracks and within a week I didn't see anymore ants.
    Good Luck....they are a pain and an exterminator is expensive..but if I couldnt' get rid of them myself I would have called for sure!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Get an exterminator, it's the only thing that works.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Bad this year. They are all over my kitchen counter yuck!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My parents did. They kept trying stuff in the stores but it wasn't doing anything. They went on vacation and I called an exterminator. They come out every three months for $30 a visit, they spray for everything and set out traps if you have a mouse. They also come out for free if you need them in between visits. The ants were gone after the first spraying.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010