What do you wish you had done or learned before having children?

I wish I had studied child development and parenting techniques more before I had children.

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:46 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I applied to Med School, took my MCAT's, had a great GPA, and went through my first interview..................that was a long time ago and the first question the dean asked me was "What would you do if you ended up pregnant halfway through?" I was shocked! Of course now they wouldn't be allowed to ask it................I canceled my next two interviews and changed my major, took an extra semester and then went on for my Masters.............Biggest mistake of my life! They only accepted one woman that year and she dropped out half way through..............now more than 50% of med students are female....................
    MissMyDad

Answer by MissMyDad at 11:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wish I would have worked in my career a little longer and also done more traveling.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• gone to college!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wish I would have gone to college. Thank goodness I got a job right after my first was born or I would have been in a world of hurt.!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wished I'd went to medical school. :-)
    I never wanted to be a doctor, but the training would have come in handy.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wish we had moved to California already. My family is planning on moving next summer, and it would have been MUCH easier to move across country without a baby, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wish I had realized that 18 years would go by so quickly.....................I knew how to be a good mom..........that was never a problem. I don't know how to be an empty-nester.
    MissMyDad

Answer by MissMyDad at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Very hard to answer, cause there is so much, but having grown children I realize we did the best we could with what we knew at the time and now that we have learned more, we get a second chance with a grand-daughter! We get to help with her and guide our children with their answers to her developement!
    butterfly2560

Answer by butterfly2560 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wished I would have waited and gone to college instead. I visit my 19 yr old at her college, hang out in her dorm and I feel a hole somewhere inside because I never got to do what she is doing, I also wished I would have made more of an effort to teach them how to cook. I also wished I would have taken more pictures and video
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 5:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2010