What's your take on this story?

Chihuahua dies protecting family against pit bulls

RICHMOND, CA (KGO) -- Two pit bulls burst into a family's one-bedroom apartment in Richmond Sunday afternoon. ABC7 first learned about this amazing story from our media partners at the Bay Area News Group.

It was a frightening moment for Mayda Estrella, her 4-year-old son and 22-day-old son. Luckily her little Chihuahua was there when two pit bulls stormed the family's home.

Estrella says they were having a barbeque outside and she had the door open when the dogs rushed in. She ran into the bedroom with her baby, grabbed the remote control and wacked one pit bull over the head.

Her 4-year-old son, Brian, jumped on his bed and as the other pit bull moved toward him, the family's Chihuahua, named Manchas, jumped in between the boy and the pit bull.

"And the dog just looked at Brian and just [took] the dog," said Estrella.

Animal control officers found Manchas d

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• RIP, little Manchas. You were a good dog!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• dead, nearby. The pit bulls ran back to their home where the owner, who did not want to speak on camera, tells ABC7 they escaped by chewing a hole through their wood fence while he was away.

"Those dogs were followed to the residence," said Dan Barrett from Contra the Costa County Animal Control.

Animal control says the dogs, named Jade and Beast, are now subject to the dangerous animal ordinance. The owner says he is not going to appeal, which means the fate of the dogs is now in the hands of animal control.

When asked if the pit bulls needed to be euthanized because of what they did, Barrett said, "That would be my recommendation."

Estrella says it all happened within 10 seconds, but looking back, she believes Manchas may have saved her son's life. The owner of the pit bulls is not facing any criminal charges, but under the dangerous animal ordinance, he could be restricted from owning pit bulls in the future.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Omg, that is soooooooooooo sad! The poor little thing died trying to protect his family! That breaks my heart! :( The owners of the pit bulls should definitely be held responsible!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=7526657
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wow....such a sad story.
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Thats awful - I had a little chihuahua who was protective like that. Too bad for that family :(
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 10:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• If chihuahua was a large dog, it would be even more vicious than the pit bull. People don't realize how protective & wild those littls dogs can be, They are like wolves...seriously. They are native to central america & used to live in packs, just like wolves do. They are wild little creatures. He most likely did save the boys life.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I 100% agree that the owners of the pit bulls should be completely responsible. However, I do not believe that the animals should be euthanized because if you look at the situation I do not believe that the animals are totally at fault. First, the owners should have had a better fence if they were owners of large, strong dogs like these. Also, I believe (like one of the comments on the story said), that the dogs had no ill will when they were lured by the smell of the barbecue. I think that the family may have overreacted a bit when the dogs entered their house (not that I wouldn't have been freaked out) but come on, who would hit a large dog over the head with a remote control and not expect them to act out? I think if she had the time to run into the bedroom to get the remote control, couldn't she have grabbed her kids and stayed in there? I am So glad they are safe, sad for the chihuahua, sad for the pitts too though. :(
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i say name a dog park after the dog that saved the lil boys life!
    definedclefts

Answer by definedclefts at 11:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oh ok i misread the story, the pitts came in the bedroom so that's why she didn't stay in there, but still I would not think to hit a dog over the head with a remote control, unless there was absolutely nothing else to do. I think sometime people react the wrong way, because mostly dogs are just very curious and not really out to hurt someone. But I do understand the fear, I about freaked out when me and my kids were outside playing and a couple of pit bulls got loose in our cul-de-sac but they ended up being the friendliest dogs i've ever met, and I was able to wait with them outside til the animal control people got there and returned them to their home. I don't know what I would have done in the situation, I just think it's sad all around.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010