I told a friend about my baby name...

and she loved it! now shes waiting for her husband to approve of it, but i really dont want her to use it, what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Are you pregnant? If so tell her you wanted to name your child it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Tell her!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Both of you use it. Your kids can be friends with the same name. Really, any name, whether someone has named the kid that or plans to when they have a kid is up for grabs.
    A friend of mine from high school named her kid something very similar to my kids name. She even pronounces it the way I was going to pronounce my daughter's real name, but I switched at the last minute. The funny thing is, we didn't see each other until our kid's were a few months old. It was kind of weird, actually, our due dates were three days apart, her daughter is only a month older than mine. :-)
    I say, let her use it, then you use it too. Just change the spelling or something if you want it to be different. Or make it a middle name. Really, whoever has the kid first gets dibs.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't have taken a friend's baby name - but it's really not a big deal. If you both end up with a child named the same thing it's not the end of the world.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Did she really understand that this is a name you would be using? I think it's very unfair that she wants to use it now. Discuss it with her. Do you live in the same area and see each other a lot? If not, you should use it too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Wow. Talk about conniving! I mean, no, we don't own baby names or anything, but when you share a baby name you REALLY love, it's pretty crappy when someone basically says "Yeah, that's great! Now i'm gonna use it! haha!"

My advice? Use it anyway!! Or, you could look up some more names and end up finding something you love even more, and say to your friend "well, we loved it, but found something soooo much better" and DO NOT tell her what it is!!

Even if you both have babies with the same name, it won't be too bad. My DD is Madyson Ann-Marie. A good friend named her DD (who's younger than mine) Madison Marie. We find it funny. When we talk on FB it's usually "My Maddi does this" and "My Mady does that" lol. People get a kick out of it...so it might not be so bad for you :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's too late now but never do that.. keep names to yourself.. I've heard this over and over again. You're not the only one..
    I'd tell her how you feel though or it'll eat away at you..
    I once told a friend what we were going to use as our wedding song. They got married before us and used it.. I was crushed. I told her the car I wanted to get. Low and behold she got that car the following month. I've learned to keep my mouth shut..
    halleyquinn

Answer by halleyquinn at 11:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You don't "own" the name, she could have just as easily found it in a baby name book. Be flattered she likes your choice.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010