Unemployment benefits extention BLOCKED again..How do you feel about that?

MTM

Asked by MTM at 10:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw a ticker this morning showing how fast the national debt is increasing. I feel awesome that it's nto getting extended again, we have a serious overspending problem that needs to get solved NOW.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i agree with Ati
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I know too many people who are on unemployment not even bothering to look for a job because they don't know if they will get a job that pays more than the unemployment they receive. YAY for blocking the extension!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i'm actually unclear about if that is the federal stimulus unemployment or unemployment in general. i was fired from my job a month and a half ago (in retaliation for calling HR) and was several months pregnant at the time (yes, they knew). my unemployment was approved for 6 months - right about the time i will have the baby. considering the chances of me getting hired while pregnant (be nice if i could even get a response to my resumes/applications to find out) are slim to none, and my husband lost his job a couple months before me and has obstacles to being hired, i'm scared to death of losing unemployment - we will not be able to survive. we are barely making it, and only because food stamps and medicaid are automatic for pregnant women. i don't think throwing everyone into poverty is a good solution.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I hear you all ,, but on the same hand i fell for the millions that really need it..
    MTM

Comment by MTM (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• The bill was packed with pork. We need to cut spending, not add more pork.

The recession is not turning around, job growth is very slim. The government's current rate of spending is unsustainable. The pork in this bill is unacceptable. If Congress really cared about the unemployed and the recession, they would eliminate pork and pass the bill.

However, there is a point where even unemployment can't go on forever.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I feel very bad for the people that are making a serious effort to find a job and are coming up empty. Some areas of the country are in pretty bad shape, you can't even get a job at a fast food restaurant. That being said though, enough is enough with the increases in unemployment. There are people that have been on unemployment for 2+ years; if you can't find a job in that period it's time to move where the jobs are.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• They can only be extended for so long.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• there was another post about unemployment - my response relates to all the jobs that were allowed to leave this country. all the chinese, mexican, and indian people benefitting from corporate greed are not to blame, but the government shouldn't allow so much of our country's business to be elsewhere. i have excellent education, skills, and experience, and i live in an area that is supposed to be one of the best in the country for jobs. i can't get one (again, the companies where i'm applying don't know i'm pregnant yet). also, it costs MONEY to move - if i can barely afford to pay my bills, live in an area that is better off for jobs, what do you suggest i do? i assume many of you happy about this also complain about people on welfare. please tell me how i'm supposed to survive with a new baby if no one will hire me, i can't get unemployment, and you resent public aid. it's not for lack of trying.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My best friend was on her job for 12 years, they closed the business last year.. .. She is looking for a job but has not found one.A single mom . Having the benefits helps her a great deal right now .
    MTM

Comment by MTM (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2010