What do you plan to teach your children that your parents didn't teach you?

My parents skimmed a few topics I consider pretty major. They didn't teach me much about finances or relationships. I plan to emphasize those subjects a lot for my own children.

What do you plan to teach your children?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:02 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Financial responsibility +1. We were broke as hell growing up, so it doesn't make any sense. My brother & I are responsible w money for the short term-and that's it.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 5:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Racial tolerance....and openmindedness...and other religions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Sex. My parents never talked to me about sex. They were great about everything else.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 11:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• keeping a house clean. this was NOT my moms strong point and i'v had to teach myself.
    and sex. my parents never once brought up the subject.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• a LOT...
    that there is more than one religion or way of thinking and that they should explare any of them they want and LEARN *I never knew growing up that there was anything other than christians...

that to go to college is important and you can get a loan to do it! *money stuff

that sex is not something horrible -but to be careful about it *sex was really never brought up at all
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We taught them everything, sex, racial tolerance and doing homework with them. These things our parents never did with us! Children need their parents to talk with them about these issues and not hide from them. Doing homework with them shows your taking an intrest in them and what they are learning and doing during their day!
    butterfly2560

Answer by butterfly2560 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• There is so many to choose from. I didn't learn responsibility, healthy relationships, honesty, how to clean or cook, nothing financial. Pretty much the only thing I learned was how to have fun.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• That love does not always happen at first sight. My parents did a pretty good job with teaching me the need to knows but I expected love to be at first sight or to know that he is "the one" within the first couple of meetings. I almost lost out on the love of my life because after I met him I didn't know that he was "the one" so I skipped jumped and hopped away from him. He didn't give up on me and I fell in love with him.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes sex aswell
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Where to start????
    how to cook
    about sex
    about puberty
    the importance of being respectable
    about God
    how to solve problems

Above all else, when my kids come to me for help or advice, I will give it to them. My mom always said, "You'll figure it out" which pissed me off. I did figure it out, but that is not the point. A little help would have been nice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010