I am 34 weeks pregnant with my second child. I also have fibromyalgia and when I found out I was pregnant I had to stop my meds. I am in a dilema. I would like to breastfeed but I need to get back on my meds. Should I go with formula if so how soon. Please help. Thanks

andicampbell

Asked by andicampbell at 11:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the first 3 days of breastfeeding is the best for baby, so if anything just do the first 3-5 days then get back on meds!
    definedclefts

Answer by definedclefts at 11:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well, you went 9 months without it. Do you think you could go longer if need be? Why not try nursing and not taking it, then, if you absolutely feel like you can no longer manage without it...by all means, start formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well since you have held off this long, can yo make it at least 3 months with breastfeeding? That way your baby still gets the benefits of nursing and then you can go back on your meds. You may find that after that long, you don't want to stop nursing. Really, you need to do the best for yourself so that baby sees a happy mommy. Any amount of time nursing is better than none.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• You can be treated for fibromyalgia and breastfeed. I was. I had fibromyalgia and several other medical conditions when my youngest was born. I was taking at least 10 medications every day while nursing and had to have IV medications for immune deficiencies every 3 weeks from the time he was 2 months old. There are only a few, around 10, meds you can't take and breastfeed.

Milk is not like blood. Your milk glands are modified sweat glands. Milk is made in the glands and usually little if any med is in the milk. The benefits of breastfeeding far outweigh the risks of meds. I was hospitalized several times while breastfeeding and kept my baby with me. I had to be on IV steroids and antibiotics. I had septicemia and even cancer. My baby never had a bottle or formula and nursed well beyond 2 years. Breastfeeding is so much easier.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have fibromyalgia and I'm pregnant with number 3. I would first talk to your doctor and see what risks their are to the meds during breastfeeding and are their alternatives. I nursed my first two and will nurse this one as well... But I don't take medication. Most of my pain is handled through diet and other natural options - not that I don't have a bad pain day, but I don't like meds... You have at least a few weeks before you have your baby, so why not take that time to talk to your doctor and look in to better options for pain control? Then if you can't make it without meds and their are to many risks to bfing while on the meds, I would say go with formula... Really, it's up to you, but I'm a firm believer that natural non-med options are the healthiest anyways - not just for baby, but for you...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I found the American Academy of Pediatrics site where you may be able to look up your medication. If the medication you have taken in the past is one that isn't one of the best there may be another that you can take that will work that is listed as compatible with breastfeeding. It looks like the main drugs the AAP says you can't breastfeed with are radioactive drugs and chemotherapy. It's a shame women think you can't take meds and breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Check out http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT  You can input the name of the medicine and find out if it is safe for breastfeeding.  If it is not considered safe, they give a list of safe alternatives.  Like Gailll said, there are actually very few meds that aren't safe when you're breastfeeding, and for those that are unsafe there are usually alternatives that are safe and just as effective.  The site also tells you if the medication has any affect on breastmilk rpoduction, if there are any side effects in babies that aren't life threatening but may be inconvenient. 

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Oops somehow the link didn't stay on when I posted

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;108/3/776

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I have worked with lots of moms who were able to breastfeed on fibromyalgia meds. Go to that toxnet site and check out your meds. You can also pm me and I will look them up for you (I have the 2010 edition of the Meds and Milk book by Hale).

The decision about continuing breastfeeding when the mother takes a drug is far more involved than whether the baby will get any in the milk. It also involves taking into consideration the risks of not breastfeeding, for the mother and the baby. And there are plenty of risks in not breastfeeding, so the question essentially boils down to: Does the addition of a small amount of medication to the mother’s milk make breastfeeding more hazardous than exclusive formula feeding? The answer is almost never. Breastfeeding with a little drug in the milk is almost always safer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Many meds are safe for nursing, I'd speak to an ibclc and check out Dr. thomas hale's site, or his book, medications and mothers milk
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2010