Has anyone moved far, far away from home?

We are planning on moving in a couple months to a state two thousand miles away. I drove through the state once on a family road trip when I was eleven. Moving here will give us more opportunities to own a home (we live in a VERY expensive state) and to have a pleasant, simpler life. But it is scary! Has anyone else done this and how did it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• i moved 1000 miles away for college and I adapted. I think as long as your marriage is stable, and you have your partner...you will be fine. get involved with the schools and mom groups, the library, anyplace to meet people. good luck, I say go for it. you only get one ride int his life hon....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• we think we're about to....dh is looking at a promotion...but it means moving to alaska for a few years until something else opens up....i'm freaking out and scared to death....good luck! i'm sure you will be fine.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I live 550 miles away from where I grew up.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes. We moved from NoCA to Chicago for a job relo, and 2 yrs later to LA. We just moved to Socal last week.So far so good. Our daughter, who is 23, just moved to SoAmerica for a job. All is good.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• DH and I moved the kids 900 miles away. From Maine to Virginia four years ago. It took a few months to adapt to not having family and friends around but I love it now and I will never move back to Maine.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• We were an Air Forcefamily and we moved from Minnesota to California first, then to several different states and to Germany twice so we really got around. :-) The hardest part was not having family there when we had babies and we missed having Grandparents there for the kids. But it was more interesting for all of us than of we had just stayed in our hometown and never got to know people from all over,including Europe. If you are a close family, you will adapt and enjoy moving anywhere. Good luck!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I've done several long distance moves. The first was from Iowa to Italy right after college. I had lived/gone to school in the same town my whole life. It was great! Then I moved back to the US and lived in WI, then Chicago, then I moved to TX. Then I moved to MI. Did a stint overseas in Mauritius and I'm back to MI. My family is in Iowa and Wyoming.

I've done those moves alone. I think that on the one hand, it's easier to make a big move with less stuff and less responsibilities. But on the other hand, having your spouse and kids with you means that you're not out there in the "big bad world" all alone.

I think it's very refreshing to move and meet new people and see new things. Bottom line, home is where the heart is. With a positive attitude and a little work, you can make a "home" anywhere.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 11:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes I have a couple times.My biggest move was from CT to Kentucky with my new husband & our new baby girl.I was very young 18, allot on my plate he was in the millitary so we wer on base for a couple weeks then to Hopkinsville, rented a nice house, big back yard HUGE garden 2 bedroom one bathroom, wood floors, brick exterrior, I liked the house allot, but I missed my family no matter how disfunctional it was.We tried for a while I was so lonley he ,well he drank allot in a nut shell I ended up taking a bus to Florida with my little girl then a plain to RI , then back to CT.I think I stayed there for about 6 months.He didn't stop drinking & we ended things.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:29 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• i moved from Alaska to Oklahoma for college...its about 4000 miles. and as a military kid we moved lots of places (once to Japan, talk about far away from home!) and once we got over the initial shock of being somewhere knew it was actually fun. it will be hard not to be around your extended family (if you are now) but it will make your kids, SO, & you a stronger family unit. try to stay positive and show your kids that this will be an exciting experience. also, the more you plan the smoother it will go.

Good Luck!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I thought I wrote this at the end but it didn't go through.If your with the RIGHT person 'love' can make things roll' allot easier & you can make new roots & invite friends & family to come visit as much as possible.' Take the jump into the comunity & don't be to shy bt stay safe.LOTS of Luck to you~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010