Nursing Help!

It took me almost 5 days to get my milk in. I was able to pump more than enough and feed my son for about 1 week. Now all of a sudden I have nothing. I don't know why but I can't even pump more than 1 oz in 2 days. HELP!! any suggestions on how to get my milk back?

CarlieJS

Asked by CarlieJS at 11:27 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your doctor and try to get in ASAP, they have medication that really helps produce more milk. I had to stay on it for almost a year to keep my milk coming in.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Are you exclusively pumping, or are you nursing AND pumping? What you pump means NOTHING in comparison to how much milk you're actually making. I could have fed an army of babies from the tap, but couldn't pump an ounce to save my life. If you're doing both, it's important to note the accurate way to determine if your baby is getting enough, and that is diaper counts. 6-8 wet dipes in 24 hours is what you're aiming for. Really soaked dipes count as 2. Messy dipes can vary since BM is so easily and completely digested that there may not be much left to form a bowel movement. If you're only pumping, how often are you doing it? I think the goal is at least every 2 hours during the day, and every 3 during the night. That is where I flubbed up with my 2nd DD who I was exclusively pumping for...I didn't pump often enough, for long enough, and ended up drying up.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• What you pump has absolutely nothing to do with how much milk you are actually producing. My milk also didn't come in until 5 days after I had my daughter. I didn't touch a pump until she was a month old. Just nurse your baby. As long as you're changing 6 diapers a day, you are doing great.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Are you nursing at all? What you can pump is a poor indication of milk supply. The best thing you can do right now is this: Get in bed with your baby, take off your shirt and have baby in only a diaper. Stay like this, with baby on your chest, for the next 24-48 hours (as much as possible). Encourage baby to latch on and nurse as much as possible. If you keep him on your chest like that you may get him to dose on and off and nurse on and off a few times an hour. Watch our baby, he will scoot himself down and latch on, and most likely let go and try and move to the other side. Squeeze your breast when his sucking starts to slow down to get him more milk and get him sucking again.
    Baby will get really good at nursing, and you will start making plenty of milk!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• thanks
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• They also have a tea called Mother's Milk that can help your milk flow. It is an herb so ask your Docotor before drinking it and you can buy it over the counter. It doesnt taste bad either. Good luck!!
    hotmama_25

Answer by hotmama_25 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Nurse, unless there is a reason you are solely pumping. Baby nursing will stimulate your production way more than a pump will. If your baby is less than 6-8 weeks old you should try ditching the pump altogether and solely nurse. Try not to let baby go more than 3 hours, even over night for the first few weeks. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Pumps suck (pun intended) but seriously if you don't have to pump just nurse.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Call your Dr. about it. But in the meantime, give your son whatever you produce (via nursing or pump). Are you doing any extreme exercising or dieting? Doing those can drastically diminish your milk supply. Also, some foods can lower milk production. You can google them, but I remember parsley and cinnamon were two to be avoided.
    BeachGal121

Answer by BeachGal121 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• thanks everyone. I think I am doing ok now. my Dr did give me some meds to help. I am trying to nurse but he will not latch. I have to use a nipple shield or bottle nipple to even get him to nurse. but he always ends up really fussy and fight me like he is still hungry and not getting enough so I end up giving him a bottle in addition to nursing. and still trying to pump as often as I can. But the biggest thing is that I can tell I don't have as much milk at first my boobs were large and definitely full (very firm) now they seem very empty very soft and limp. I am slowly pumping a little more though so something is helping.
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010