is it normal for little girls to touch themselves?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 3 year old went through a phase of touching herself. I think at some point all kids do when they are little.

Answer by MizAnn at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's normal for any child to touch themselves. It's part of self discovery. they learn that it feels good to do so and then you have to teach privacy.

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• It's normal for ANY child/person to touch themselves... They are learning about themselves and their bodies. As a parent it's up to us to teach them time and place.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• ditto Sabrina

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes, you just need to explain to her that we call our private parts private for a reason because they are private and that no one else should be touching her and also that if she likes to touch herself that is ok but that she should do so when she is alone.

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes it is normal.. I have a son who is four does it seems like all the time I think its a phase he dont do it as much as when he first started but Dr.'s say its normal but you need to make sure they know to go into their own room and close the door.

Answer by Ashton91005 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yes it is, but you have to teach them hygien and that we only do that in our own room with the door shut or in the bathroom. You also have to teach them about not letting anyone else touch them there except for the doctor,and Mom or Dad. My daughter just turned four and she tells me if she wants to be left alone in the tub. She and I have also had a talk about the right kind of touching.

Answer by Joy118 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Yup, Just gotta stop them from doing it in public! : )

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• She's just curious but I agree- keep 'em from doing it in public.

Answer by Nindy at 9:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2010